Traveling with Tools
I make cardboard guards (quick, cheap, and easy) for all my fishing and cook's knives. It would work with your sharps and chisels, even plane irons. Take a thin piece of cardboard, posterboard, or filecard twice the width of your knife/chisel. Fold in half and tightly spiral wrap with 2-3 layers of masking tape (remember how to wrap a baseball bat handle or hockey stick?). Insert knife/chisel in one end. Done in 5 minutes or less; stays tight on knife; lasts forever.

I also made chisel guards with Plasti-Dip. Wrapped about 1/2 inch width of vnyl electrician's tape around end - grease rest of blade to make it easy to remove after dip dries. Dipped about 1 inch deep 3-4 times in Plasti-Dip. First time is a little tough to get off. Successive removals much easier.

Say yes to tube sox, go to the flea market and buy the jumbo bag of 50 pairs for a few bucks. Put 2 or 3 on a plane. Leather rolls are best for chisels. The rest just pad so jostling doesn't distrub it too much. They travel well. I personally will put them in a wooden sided box over a vinyl rip stop junker.

I have a robust rather large tool chest I used to use. Having just had back surgery I am going to make a smaller plywood box that will fit in a little red wagon so I can pull it easily from my vehicle to wherever the class, whatever is being held.

Enjoy your class. Having done a couple I can't think of a better way to travel, and have a great time. I'm going to have to get caught up with the 360 guys for their schedule. PWW used to be in the arena, doesn't look promising for that anymore. For me both are local, so I can travel short, and sleep at home
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
In the absense of time to build a chest, here are some good ingredients for safe travel. Socks, old t shirts, diaper boxes are super heavy cardboard, and liquor boxes are too.
that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
1 Thessalonians 4:11

my blog - thechristiantoolcabinet.wordpress.com
The Schwartz has been making this Dutch tool box it appears to be somewhat scalable, yet not the ginormous box of recent builds.

Sitting on an Anarchist chest for size comparison

pics

They say using BORG 1x12 well picked you can put one together with handtools in a few days pretty easy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Jonny Rocket said:

I lived in Indy for 4 years and I'm in the process of moving back to Ft Wayne, IN

Jonny,
Let me be the first to welcome you back to Fort Wayne.
I believe you bought my router table a few years ago. Hope it worked well for you.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
cpolubin said:

Jonny,
Let me be the first to welcome you back to Fort Wayne.
I believe you bought my router table a few years ago. Hope it worked well for you.

Cliff

Was this the benchdog router table that was exchanged at Woodcraft?

I'm coming back to IN, but Fort Wayne will be a new city for me. I grew up in the Lafayette area, went to school in Bloomington and spent some time in Columbus and Indianapolis during those years. Up to MN for 6 years, back to Indy for 4 more years and now sitting in Peoria waiting to move to Fort Wayne. I never thought we'd be traveling this much, but I'm hoping this is the last stop for us.
That's the one.

I've always said about Fort Wayne that it's a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there.

Not as exciting as Indy or as college themed as Lafayette or Bloomington, but a good place to raise a family. And I seem to remember one or two apprentices you had with you at the time. Hopefully it will be a good place for you and your family.

If I can assist, let me know.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
My apprentices have doubled with another on the way...

Back on topic, I think I've found a bag that I can fit everything in and I'll just wrap everything carefully and generally not toss the bag around. I like the idea of a making a travel box, but I really have no means to make anything at this point. Half the tools are gone and another batch is leaving for short term storage tomorrow.
Here is a video of a minimalist tool kit by Tom Fidgen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPvjC9-XCg
Cool video thanks for sharing !

Steve