I have a DVD or Roy Underhill and him using
some kind of broad axe or hatchet cutting some wood into spindles.

Is that some kind of special hatchet? Can I modify my hatchet to do the same kind of carving/cutting?

Thanks
Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
He mainly uses a froe to do that.
WoodTinker
I did not mean the Froe but he used the axe after the froe and uses it in a carving fashion. I guess I will have to pop it in again to see exactly what he is doing.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Is it an episode of his show or a one off DVD? Remember what he was making? May be able to find it on youtube with some more info.
-Justin
Probably a single-bevel hewing hatchet.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bibliophile 13 said:

Probably a single-bevel hewing hatchet.

YES that is what he called it.

So can I do that with my hatchet? If not where can I find or get one that is not to much $$

Arlin

Here are some pictures of hewing hatchets. They are flat on one face and sharpened mostly on the other. You can grind an ordinary one to that shape, but it's a lot of work.

If you can get to an MWTCA meet, there is usually a selection to choose from. Ebay might also work. As far as new ones go that are not too expensive, Highland Woodworking has one (they call it a broad axe) for $36.

By the way, to switch between a right and left handed version you simply remove the head from the handle and replace it the other way up.
It is perfectly possible to use a not too clumsy double bevel hatchet to do the same job provided that it has good enough steel in it.
We don't use single bevel axes nor hatchets around here and once you learn to use a double bevel one it is much more versatile and no less accurate than single bevel. It is just a matter of traing and of cause the bevels have to be flat or only very slightly convex.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I just watched the DVD and it was with Peter Follansbee and it seemed the head was 6 to 8" wide and is called a Hewing hatchet like the pictures you gave in the link.

I can see where a single bevel would work good because it is more controllable on the cut and will not take off as much.

The one from Highland woodworking does not have the long sweep to it or I should say curved head.

Arlin

TGW

I have tried that route and it is not working for me, however, do you have any tips on how you do it? I know I am not doing it right so any ideas would help.

Arlin