my modified dutch tool chest
I wanted some really shallow drawers to store items like blades for my plow plane, router plane, my long rasp, etc. Also needed to make it wider to fit my biggest panel saw. I scaled it in both dimensions to keep the original aspect ratio. The result is three drawers that are 1 7/8" tall. The big one is ~20" wide.

The two little cubbies on each side are square. At this point one side will have my roll of auger bits.

IMG_2740

Firsts for me so far on this project:
- first dovetails in a project
- first hand-cut dado's for the shelves
- first shiplapped back (used my new veritas skew rabbet)

Upcoming firsts:
- half-blind dovetailed drawers (cherry)
- breadboard ends for top and fall front
- possibly french-fit some things in the drawers

It's been a great project so far to make mistakes on and still end up with something that will be functional. It will be on casters to roll around my garage.
Very
Ag
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
That's really nice. I love the size of that window behind the workbench. You lose wall space, but I'll take light over storage space any day!

Steve
Steve Friedman said:

That's really nice. I love the size of that window behind the workbench. You lose wall space, but I'll take light over storage space any day!

I love it too, but would probably spend too much time staring out the window and not enough time working wood.

Really like the chest. I built the small version for my son and itching to build another.
Steve

Here's a better pic of the whole space since you guys like the window

Putting on the bottom lip:

Glueing up the lid:
Nice bench too.
Ag
Very nice, I like it. Hopefully I can get around to making something similar soon. Haven't been able to get in the shop much due to health reasons but hopefully very soon.

Steve
Working on breadboard ends:

Almost ready to paint, a little bit of smoothing left on the show side of the panels.