Trying to add some doors to this coffee table....
About to build a coffee table but my wife wants doors on the open spots. Any ideas on how to integrate without changing the design too much? Only options I can think of are a full door frame in each opening or a partial door frame (just vertical sides). Full door frame will leave a lip at the bottom or would need a false floor... don't like that. Not sure partial door frame will look right... I want the doors inset a bit to match the drawers. Any other suggestions?
I think the doors should be inset and in line with the drawer fronts. Put a hinge strip on the ends of the table so the doors can be opened a little more than 90°.
If your table is going to be made of veneered plywood, etc. then I would use plywood door panels with no frames and inset them flush with the drawer fronts as Dave suggested. Euro hinges would make mounting them very easy, but knife hinges would be more elegant.

If the table will be made from solid wood, and it looks to be like that's your intent now that I see those through tenons, then I don't see any really good options other than a frame and panel door. But it can still be inset flush with the drawers with no need for a false floor, etc. True, there will be small section of the floor exposed but I don't see that as a visual problem, quite the contrary actually. You could use a very simple recessed flat panel design to keep a consistent look with the rest of the piece.

John
How about some by-pass sliders?. The downside would be the need for groove tracks, but it could be a pretty clean installation. The door panels could either match or contrast with the rest of the material.
Thanks for the replies. It will be solid wood. knife hinges may be an option. Here are 2 options. One with a "hinge strip" on one side and the other has vertical frame on both sides. What do you guys think?

The "vertical frame" is just a wider hinge strip, correct?

Normally the stiles run the full height of the door and the rails run into the stiles. Not the other way around as you have them drawn.
Whoops! I will fix the doors. I thought they looked off.

Yes, just different width vertical frames and one option only has it on one side. I think it needs it on the hinge side so the doors can swing all the way open. Any preference between the 2 options?

Other critiques or suggestions are welcome.
My preference would be for only the hinge strip. The piece on the opposite side of the door isn't needed.
Why do you want to use hinge strips, so that the doors open more than 90 deg? If that's the only reason, why not consider pivot hinges. I've used them on frameless cabinets with inset doors and they work great. The exact angle the door will open is dependent upon how deep you inset the doors, but you will always get more than 90 deg. Moreover, you'll have more access to the interior because there will be no hinge strip.

John
Thanks Dave.

Here is a corrected picture.