Walnut bookcase unit is done....
Primo!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Damon, now we know you are truly a woodworker!
Not because of the way your bookcase turned out so beautiful.
Because only a woodworker would blow up close ups of those tiny imperfections & post them on the Internet
Great job buddy
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Well thanks Rusty. I know every project has "them" but I think we all learn more if we post "them" as well. I have no problem recognizing my flaws and I'll be the first to admit that I could of done things a bit better. Then again, I am my own worse critic. My wife--the reader--is tickled pink. She just wanted to know what took me so long. I think "patience" should be added next to "sickness and health" in all wedding vows when a woodworker is involved....

Worth waiting for.
I remember most of the build thread.
They turned out great.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Nice look. Are they attached to the wall to prevent falling? If sow how?
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I can see it full of books and knick-knack's, it will be quite impressive, all the additional colors against the stately Walnut. Nice work
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Damon,

Outstanding Craftsmanship! Those turned out Great! I love the Satin Finish, you nailed it!

Fantastic Job!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I can't seem to recall much from your build thread, but it looks like you used the Woodsmith plans, which I've used and really like.

The piece(es) look fantastic!! I'm a black walnut aficionado, and you have certainly captured the essence of what BW has to offer. Your finish is especially nice.

Just a few pickin' nits comments...

It appears you used the same piece of walnut for the toekick. Using the same on the molding would have made the top appear seemless.

I would have knocked the edges back using a roundover or chamfer bit, or a hand plane. But that's just me.

Still. a top notch job, well done.

Oh...one more comment. What took you so long?

paulmaine said:

Nice look. Are they attached to the wall to prevent falling? If sow how?

I did attach them to the wall. After getting them plumb and level with the 12 levelers, I used a 2" "L" bracket screw into the top of the case and then fastened to a wall stud. I used 1 bracket for each case. The bracket can't be seen from standing level. They are rock solid.

Yes, I'm anxious to see all the leather bound Easton Press books my wife will be putting on the shelves. The walnut will look fabulous with the array of dark book covers. I'm sure some family pictures will also be added. I might be able to slip a really nice Stanley 113 circular plane on one of the shelves as well. I'm hoping for one "woodworking" shelf for display but my wife can be funny about these things. Sometimes it's not worth the battle. Even though I have a big farm style kitchen table to start, I might make a few bookends prior to starting the next big project. A small project would be nice after lugging these things around. The farm table top won't be a toothpick either. Thanks again.

MountainWood said:

I can't seem to recall much from your build thread, but it looks like you used the Woodsmith plans, which I've used and really like.

The piece(es) look fantastic!! I'm a black walnut aficionado, and you have certainly captured the essence of what BW has to offer. Your finish is especially nice.

Just a few pickin' nits comments...

It appears you used the same piece of walnut for the toekick. Using the same on the molding would have made the top appear seemless.

I would have knocked the edges back using a roundover or chamfer bit, or a hand plane. But that's just me.

Still. a top notch job, well done.

Oh...one more comment. What took you so long?

Thanks, BW is my favorite wood as well and I am very happy with the finish overall. You're right, I used a continuous board on the bottom molding and I planned to do the same on the top face frame rail and top molding piece but fortunately a couple mistakes happened. I believe I drilled the wrong side for pocket screws on the middle case top rail and I miscut my miter on the right case top molding. I ended up using wood from the tree but obviously I lost the grain match. I also think the right case molding didn't get as much dark walnut dye. I thought about sacrificing another walnut board and redoing both runs but I couldn't justify the time needed or another clear and wide board. If it was holy grail it may have been different but being its a bookcase, much of the focus will be on the items it houses.

The top molding has an 1/8" round over on the top and bottom edge. I thought about dressing up the top molding a bit more or adding arches but I decided to stay true to the simplicity of the plan.

Wood smith plans are my favorite and I seldom stray from their originality. I did extend the height of this case but everything else was straight from the plan.