FWW - Morris Chair Plan
Hi Gang...just curious...but anyone out there build the Bow Arm Morris Chair featured in Fine Woodworking? I'm thinking about tackling it...and just curious how it went and what you thought of the plans.

Thanks!
I've built several of the WOOD design, and still think that's the best looking one out there. The woodworking is straight forward, and the only real 'challenge' in the WOOD plan is laminating the arms, and I'd expect the FWW plan to be the same. I'll also say that the cushions/upholstery can make or break the chair as a place somebody will actually want to sit.
Just an update. Bought the plans and went to work. The project was fun...however it was the first time I worked of actual blue prints rather than step-by-step plans. Naturally ran into bumps along the way, but happy how things have turned out. Next up....upholstery

Thanks for looking!
Kevin
Well done!

Particularly your thru tenon's.
Will you be using webbing in seat?

Roger
Thanks! As for the tenons...there's a reason I didn't take a picture of the rear-right one. Made a measuring mistake and ended up with a 3/16" gap. Plugged it with a wedge the best I could but still annoying. Like any other project there are 20 mistakes that my eye goes to straight away...but thankfully most who see the chair never notice

Yes...that's a 3/4" plywood frame (M/T) just sitting there. I'll use 3" jute webbing and then hand it over to an upholsterer to make the cushion.
Beautiful. You are going to enjoy sitting in that chair. As others have said, get good quality cushions made. I'm sitting in a Morris chair I made 25+ years ago as I type this. I had cushions made of top quality leather made then and the cushions are still like new. It looks good and is VERY comfortable to sit in. The construction of these chairs guarantees they will last generations. Make sure you sign and date it. Ken
Thanks Ken...I "branded" it...but good call on the date
I think I like the back on that one better than the WOOD plan.
Nice job on the chair.
I made the same one.

Do not follow the upolstery plans.

I did mine and tossed a couple lawn chair cushions on it and used it in the shop till I could afford the upolstery parts and it was so nice.
Then it became the most uncomfortable chair I ever sat in...I would rather have a stool.

The upolstery needs to be thicker and softer.

I didn't buy the plans, I just went from the magazine plan so yours may be different.
For The Love Of Wood
Yep...after looking at the cost of a full hide of upholstery leather...this might end up waiting another month or two