latest lathe addition
I just finished the first run of parts on this lathe.

I added a 6" Atlas headstock 90 degrees to the original home built lathe bed. it works for shallow bowls or flatwork like plates and rosettes.

It does a nice job and the guess work is removed by using a template shown here.
I've had a rosette cutter for years sitting on the shelf. The drill press just couldn't handle it- too much runout, chatter and didn't have the power, so I put it away.
I started looking to see who had a better way and ran across the idea of using the metal lathe instead like your post here.

So I mounted the stock in the lathe and went to town. Takes only 8 seconds to cut this way with no chatter and plenty of power.

I can whip these out by the dozens now.

Roger

You are always coming up with something neat. If I knew I could make money making rosettes I would make them but I also know I would properly not keep up with demand.

I am still looking forward to getting a tailstock mod that you make with a lever.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin! I need the dimensions of your tailstock to do it. or bring it with you and come for a visit!
Ahhh! Another cheater using a metal lathe for wood but you cant charge as much cause they aren't made by hand lol.
Looks great!!
oreos40 said:

Arlin! I need the dimensions of your tailstock to do it. or bring it with you and come for a visit!

Okay, made me ask.

What is the latest mod?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Roger

What measurements do you need and I will PM them to you.

Ivan

The mod is instead of a wheel on the back of the tail stock it is a lever to do so and he made a nice one for his lathe. It is fast and make a strong clamp into the wood and then it can be locked in.

It seems Roger is always doing something neat.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

Thanks for the explanation.

Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Bullseye!!!