Sharpening carbide saw blades
If it's a good blade, it can be sharpened. Scott Whiting on the west coast, Dynamic Saw on the east coast. If not, don't waste your money...get a decent blade...they start ~ $30.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

®smpr_fi_mac® said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

Scott Whiting is my guy

623 931 0633

Joe

+1

He did my saw blades and now has three sets of planer blades of mine.

[/blockquote]

Pig-piling on here. +1 more. The biggest problem I ever had with Scott was his tendency to forget to bill me.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
bump for info
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
jteneyck said:

Whatever you do, do not try to sharpen a carbide tipped TS blade yourself
John

LOL,
I do it all the time with my tool grinder with great results.
JerGar said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

Whatever you do, do not try to sharpen a carbide tipped TS blade yourself
John

LOL,
I do it all the time with my tool grinder with great results.

[/blockquote]

You either are very good or have low standards. No way you can match what a $500K NC blade grinder can do precisely sharpening all the faces.

John
John,

My tool grinder is basically a pretty cheap all around tool grinder as tool grinders go but it still cost me $10,000,
I'm just a one man shop and it does fine for me.
I never said it matched the big machine but it does a great job and is plenty sharp enough for me.
You wanna say I have low standards then so be it.
I've gotten pretty use to it the past ten years and think I have it figured out.
It's just cutting wood.
jteneyck said:

You either are very good or have low standards. No way you can match what a $500K NC blade grinder can do precisely sharpening all the faces.

John

Depends on if you have the mechanical ability to do it.
If a HF sharpener will do it, someone with the ability can do it on a tool grinder.
If you're happy that's all that matters. Not many of us have $10,000 tool grinders nor the need for one.

John
I use the diamond sharpening wheels whether on the grinder or setup on the lathe by hand. I'll do them 3 to 4 times then get a new blade.
For me I have found it important to make sure the angle is correct and taking an equal amount off each tooth. With the HF tool I get that. Not a great grinding wheel - I will replace it with a good one when this one wears out - I got about 15 sharpenings on one side (I did 10 for my brother). I tested the ones I did against a new one - just as good. I will say I have only done combo blades that have the same angle. Once I set the angle up I just checked it every couple of blades.

I got the machine on sale - $30. I thought it was worth trying it out. I did 4 of mine and am happy. Paying 40-50 to buy a blade I think it was worth a try.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.