Turning 101 syllabus please
Wow...lots of great advice!

I have been working with trees here for better than 16 years and have never seen an apricot tree around. I cut one down today, so I kept a couple of blanks!

Mention was made of the Harbor Freight "red handled" tool set. Do those go on sale or is the 20% coupon my best bet?

I have started reading through the sites. Lots of helpful info.

I have a "regular" bench grinder...just better wheels on that will do, right?

Is Penn State Industries also the place to buy pen kits, or are there better places for those?

Unless there is a Midnight turners club in the area, I am not sure I will be able to do that for a while...so I will have to settle for videos. Will check the library for some good ones too - any recommendations for who to look up?

Thanks again!
Another good site: http://www.woodturningonline.com/
JosephP said:

I have a "regular" bench grinder...just better wheels on that will do, right?

Regular wheels of 100 grit or so. Dress and keep the pressure light. Avoid the temptation to change the grind until you're sure it's not operator error interfering with the crispest cut. Even if famous turner X grinds his this way, you can be sure that Y and Z have their own ideas. Use the grind you received as its own template until you're confident. No sense wasting good metal when it's technique.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Here is a great site for free videos on woodturning http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/
Pre screened and indexed by topic.
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
Is Penn State Industries also the place to buy pen kits, or are there better places for those?

In my opinion anywhere is better than Penn State. I buy mainly from Craft Supply but you have to be careful as they also sell Penn State kits, why they would lower their standards I have no idea. Others on here buy from other suppliers as well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks for the tip on better places.

OK...looking at face plates and/or chucks now: Anything wrong with Grizzly ? CI or Al? Am I further ahead to just by a chuck instead of a faceplate? 3 jaw or 4 jaw? At Grizzly there is only $2 price difference between those to...or the 4 jaw one is on Amazon w/ free shipping...
I know it says wood but that looks like a metal working chuck.

You want a scroll chuck like the Nova or Oneway where all the jaws move together.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/100...uck-w-Jaws

http://www.rockler.com/oneway-talon-chuck-system

Twinn
Will post for food.
OK...so drop the one linked on Amazon - I see what you are saying. Thanks! The others twin posted are out of price range ($50 is pushing it for a chuck at this point). Back to the actual Grizzly site (I know...but if the price is right):
4 jaw
3 jaw
Otherwise, I'll just get a face plate:
aluminum
cast iron

I just measured...I was guessing before, but I need 7/4"x16 tpi
Keeping in mind that the chuck is what keeps the wood from flying off and hitting you in the face, I would save up.

Didn't someone say the lathe is the cheap part?

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Keeping in mind that the chuck is what keeps the wood from flying off and hitting you in the face, I would save up.

Didn't someone say the lathe is the cheap part?

Twinn

I wish somebody had pointed this out to me before I stepped on the slippery slope. My $50 lathe now has a $200 chuck and $200 worth of sharpening stuff standing beside it. I hope to find time to learn how to use all of it soon but my boss keeps insisting that I show up for work.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.