A VERY long term project
I have embarked on a VERY long term project - restoring a little town house. There is a double interest here, one is simply to make some of my savings (essentially earning nothing at the bank) work a bit by buying/restoring/letting the property, but at a second level, the land belonging to the house adjoins our garden at the rear and overlooks our rear courtyard, so I've had my eye on the land for some time. The house is located in a street at right angles to ours, so it is not actually next door, but because of the corner, the two plots meet at the ends.

The owner inhertited it from his grand parents and had vague plans to do it up, but is now in poor health himself, so I thought he might be open to an offer. I contacted him as it was not on the market (no agents fees) and in the end I got it for next to nothing. Given the low price and with me doing a lot of the work, it should be quite a profitable project. It has to be a rental as reselling other than main residence attracts punitive capital gains tax here. For the moment, contracts are signed, but the admin wheels grind slow and we have not completed yet, so I cant make a start except to remove the fences (which were on our land) and arrange better access.

It has stood empty for 15yrs or more, so nothing left of any value inside, kitchen and bathroom are both "rip out and burn". Wiring and plumbing are rudimentary to say the least, but it is on mains drainage. The roof needs attention, basic timbers (some old oak, some replacement sawn timber) seem sound, tiles and laths are shot, so are windows and doors. However, the walls are solid, 18th C stone built - basically, I'm buying a plot of land and a shell - the rest is to do.

Isabelle thinks I'm crazy - I'm retired and have no need to do any of this, but I do like to have a project...
Cheers

Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr
A long term project indeed but you have the time. Guess you'll be moving your shop down the street - perhaps not. Hope you can find a good plumber and electrician. Who knows the condition of the pipes and the outdated wiring. So, go for the gusto, send us a picture of this beauty and keep up us posted.
Sawdustd said:

A long term project indeed but you have the time. Guess you'll be moving your shop down the street - perhaps not. Hope you can find a good plumber and electrician. Who knows the condition of the pipes and the outdated wiring. So, go for the gusto, send us a picture of this beauty and keep up us posted.

The shop stays put, but I guess a lot of portable electric tools will find their way there. As for plumbing and wiring, it all has to be replaced, but I do that. Wiring will have to be signed off by a qualified electrician, but I can do a deal with a friend who is qualified - he prepares the drawings for a modest fee, I do the work, then he inspects and approves the installation.

So I will do : (not in chronological order)

Insulate by dry lining all walls

Re-tile ground floor

Plumbing

Wiring

Replace exterior doors/windows etc (probably make them, possibly buy, but all odd sizes so buy will be expensive).

Remove/erect new internal walls (non structural)

Replace staircase (buy)

Fit kitchen (buy units)

Fit bathrooms (2)

Decorate

What I will sub to professionals :

Replace roof

Woodworm treatment roof timber

Internal plastering (I am no good at it)

Re-render exterior wall (1 only)
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
That sounds like quite the project, can't wait to see the progress pics.

You could offer it as a vacation rental for any Woodnetter that is willing to put in 50% of their stay in renovation work.
Don't ya just love something to take up your idle time? Judging from your work on your current house & shop, I'd say you're well prepared for this. And it really helps to have the common fence to use as a pass-through between your shop & the house.

And I'm with David, reduced room rates for a little help?

Good luck and enjoy!

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
you need to set it up as by the week rental and sign up woodnetters a discount in trade for work and possibly use them as mules for tools and home improvement products
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Here's a few pictures :

It's the scruffy one on the right.

This is the back view, seen from above our courtyard. As you can see, the land rises sharply, our courtyard is 4m lower than the garden of the house to restore. You can see how it overlooks us and why I was so keen to get hold of it before someone else did.

This is what you see from our courtyard

Here is the electrical installation

...and the kitchen

...and the bathroom

...and the roof

Quite small, and very scruffy, but just integrating the part of the garden that overlooks our courtyard with our existing garden (which is behind me in the second photo) will add more than the purchase price to the value of our main property.
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
You got to love, that pink toilet seat.
Wow, David, what a project. Seeing the pictures brought back fond memories of the delightful lunch you and Isabelle prepared for Michelle and me and eating it on your patio one day last summer. You were talking about the possibility of acquiring this house even then. Well done.

I had a meeting in Paris last summer and after it was over, my wife and I went to Normandy to see the town where her ancestors immigrated from to Quebec in the late 1600s and to see the American WW II memorials. Then we drove to the Dordogne region where we were fortunate enough to meet David and Isabelle.

For those who might not be familiar with this part of France, it is stunningly beautiful. My work has taken me to over 40 countries but this region ranks among the most scenic places I have ever been. Everyone should have this on their bucket list. Ken
Now that is a project ! Every skill will be required to pull that off, but judging by your prior postings you appear to be up to the challenge. Best of luck - and work safely.

What the heck is going on with that pink toilet? It looks like it discharges through a hose coming out the side. We stayed in a small hotel in Rouen (sp.) last year that had a toilet with a grinder pump that discharged through a hose. Very interesting. Not something you wanted to flush at 2 AM.

John