sanding mop
does anyone have experience using a sanding mop or similar device for sanding routed profiles (ogee)?

looking for info like good quality models, grit, etc.?
thanks
I bought one from Klingspor and chucked in my drill press to sand some factory made balusters I was installing in my last house. It didn't seem to do much at all, I was pretty sour on it. I'm thinking I didn't know what to expect.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Similar experience with the sanding mop. Put it in a box about 8 years ago and labeled it - sanding solution in search of a application. Opened the box once since.
Sand o flex with 60 grit slit sand paper works pretty good. The end result is closer to 100 grit.
I have the sanding mop and find it helpful to soften up edges and sand small curvy parts.

I have the rubber grommets in mine which seems to help spread the sanding flaps.
I have and use the Klingspor version with 120 grit in it to get a finishable surface after the router. I found it helps to spin it pretty fast.

See linky for the one I have and like.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
If you have a lot of molding to do you need a serious solution. Linky.

John
TimPa said:

does anyone have experience using a sanding mop or similar device for sanding routed profiles (ogee)?

looking for info like good quality models, grit, etc.?
thanks

Look like a long time member, first time poster, welcome.

John's suggestion can work, how big is the detail on the Ogee? Are there other profiles? Biggest question is how many feet to do?

Other possibilities are.

I have had splendid success with these, better on harder woods than soft.

They come in most profiles, and because of more cutters hitting the stock the metal/carbide gets less heat = longer lasting than 2 and 3 wing cutters.

For softer stuff I just use a sanding sponge cause on the flaps I have seen detail destruction.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
jteneyck said:

If you have a lot of molding to do you need a serious solution. Linky.

John

My Sand-Rite comes in handy,is used a lot.

thank you for all of the replies. great info - i wasn't aware of the sand o flex, flap wheel, or quad cutters. i just ordered 2 new whiteside bits too darn