Gerd's saw file holder and Alex' handle
Hi woodneter,

before Gerd released his saw file holder he sent me one for testing and reviewing.
(read all about it here: http://traditional-handplanes.com/GFTH_B...le-guide/)

I used since than and the more I use it, the more I like it. The big advantage
of Gerd's Saw file holder is, you don't loose file length. With all other jigs you
loose an inch or so because some oft the file length disapears in the jig and some
more file length isn't usablle, because the jig hits the saw vise.

A little disadvantage is, it has some problems with files when tang isn't round.
You need to round them over. So the best use ist with needle files. I use needle
files on all saws up to 12 tpi. They leave a cleaner and sharper finish. And they
hold longer. (saw files take a dive since i started 8 years before.)

As I got a preproduction model it lacks a scale for the fleam angeles and it has a
flatened handle. (Gerd chaned both features in the meantime)

Than the usual happenings in my shop happened. Someone who needed to have
a sharp saw sent me some wood, wich was only for turning and because I don't do tunning,
I forwarded it to the best turner I know, Alex.

His answer was: nice wood, but what should I make? My first thought was, I could do
with a longer and not so flat handle for Gerds Saw file holder.

Long story cut short: this morning I opened Alex parcel.

Then I went straight to the shop to fit things together:

Now I will use it and will come back to you to repport, ift the extra long handle works.
The over all length of the holder is about 8", the handle alone is shy 7" (170mm)

Why so long? I think it is easier to hold the angle with as longer handle.

Cheers
Pedder

I forgot one thing: look at the ferrule!
Extraordinary design. Let us know if it is to be marketed.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
The big advantage of Gerd's Saw file holder is, you don't loose file length. With all other jigs you
loose an inch or so because some oft the file length disapears in the jig ..

Hi Pedder

I assume that you place your fingertips on the end of the file to hold it? Yes? Now how much space does that take?

About the same amount of space - probably more - than the Veritas holder (which has a finger grip at the end of the holder). .... and not an "inch or two". My Veritas only takes about 1/4").

Sorry, I could not resist that! I always applaud ingenuity and creativity, but better? ... no ... different? ... yes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The ferrule was the first thing that caught my eye. That and the beautifully figured wood. Nice, very clever tool.
Dear Woodnetter,
I am owning the original Saw File Guide from Briggs & Shultze patented 1919 complete with the instructions and box

The problem with this guide is you have to change the adjustments when you change filing from one saw side to the other and it happened somtime that I broke the tip, especially on needle files, because the guide is camped on the thin tip.
This is the reason I designed my own.

Pedder got the first one and now the pilot run is ready.
I added an adjustment aid to the file holder and scales with 30° in 10° steps.[image]
It is very easy to adjust the filing guide from one side to the other.
Put the file with unscrewed file holder on the adjustment aid and clamp the file with the set screw --- ready
To change the saw side, turn the adjustment aid by 180° and do the same produre and the rake will be the same.[image]
If there are any questions please mail me.
Here is the right link to my blog:
http://traditional-handplanes.com/GFTH_Blog/
Greetings from Bavaria
Gerd.
Derek Cohen said:

The big advantage of Gerd's Saw file holder is, you don't loose file length. With all other jigs you

Hi Pedder

I assume that you place your fingertips on the end of the file to hold it? Yes? Now how much space does that take?

About the same amount of space - probably more - than the Veritas holder (which has a finger grip at the end of the holder). .... and not an "inch or two". My Veritas only takes about 1/4").

Sorry, I could not resist that! I always applaud ingenuity and creativity, but better? ... no ... different? ... yes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

If you quote me, quote me correct. Please.

The full quote is:

With all other jigs you
loose an inch or so because some oft the file length disapears in the jig and some

It is the screw on the underside of the jig that'd hit my vise. It'd cost me an inch.

You'd loose less at Issac's jig, I asume, because he doesn't put a screw where the vise is. He is a saw filer, and knows what to do.

(And yes, open the grip when filing. The thumb leaves the file and the point stitches the index finger. But that is my personal style, trained in a few hundred hours of saw filing.)

Cheers
Pedder
Pedder and Gerd, excellent tools! Thanks for bringing them (guide and handle) to our attention. I am reading the saw construction series, too.
Derek

I am pretty sure you chastised me for doing this on another thread.

So is it ok to do this or not?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Gerd

First I would love to welcome you to WoodNet handtools forum.

I really like what you did and can see how it works and why it is needed.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Pedder said:

[blockquote]Derek Cohen said:

Hi Pedder

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

If you quote me, quote me correct. Please.

The full quote is:

With all other jigs you

It is the screw on the underside of the jig that'd hit my vise. It'd cost me an inch.

You'd loose less at Issac's jig, I asume, because he doesn't put a screw where the vise is. He is a saw filer, and knows what to do.

(And yes, open the grip when filing. The thumb leaves the file and the point stitches the index finger. But that is my personal style, trained in a few hundred hours of saw filing.)

Cheers
Pedder

[/blockquote]

Hi Pedder

My apology for the misquote. I read too hastily.

It did make me think about your comment, however, and it occurred to me that you might experience an obstruction on your saw vise, but I do not find this on mine using the Veritas and a Disston #3. What saw vise are you using?

I was in the workshop building a piece of furniture and thought to take a few photos of the Veritas and Disston #3 combination. The file is a Grobert 4 inch Double extra-slim taper.

Here is my vise:

Sharpening a pad saw that I am restoring. The Veritas saw file holder is modified (what's new ) ...

That is the spot where the vise catches the file holder. Below I marked it with blue tape ..

Well, the amount of file that is unused is not an inch. In fact it is not the 1/2" that it appears below ..

It is really only 1/4" - 3/8" since there is a safe area at the tip of the file (where one might hold the file between fingers).

Now none of this is intended to cast anything negative on Gerd's file holder, which I think is terrific (and I'd be happy to purchase if I did already have one - but I would add a grip at the far end of the file). And I do not mean any disrespect - I hold you and your work in the highest regard. The only reason for posting is to clear up the facts.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com