Miter Saws for home improvement?
I am building my carpentry tools back up to build me new shop, I need a miter saw to do the trim work. I am wondering should I invest in a 12'' siding miter saw or just get a regular 10'' or 12'' compound miter saw.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
The main difference between the types is the width cutting capacity and in some cases, the height of the board.

I would suggest getting a good quality 12"----non-slider, which can not only be used during your current project, but which I find very helpful in regular furniture making.

Check out tool test results. Also, look at the quality of they included blade. My DeWalt included one of their top-grade blades, so I never had the added expense of getting a better blade.
Dave
If you can afford it get the Bosch Glide or the Milwaukee SCMS with the digital adjust.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Might try to find and old DeWalt 705 12'' miter saw made in USA model.
Predicting future use can be difficult. If you think you are going to keep at it AND you have the room AND you dont need quick portability, go for the slider now.

If you go fixed, go 12". The extra couple of inches will come in handy more often than you may imagine.

If you are just cutting a little bit of smallish moulding save the money and just make yourself a miter-box.
I would recommend a SCMS useful for both carpentry and furniture work.
I have a Rigid 12" SCMS and it is one of the best tools I have ever bought very accurate for cutting miters.
CJ, considering the high water, and neighborhood theft I'd say Winner winner, chicken dinner Unless you can find a deal on CL.

For trim work light enough to bring into the house at night More accurate then a chop saw too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have a 12" CMS (non-slider), and it has always met my needs. But then, I also have a 10" RAS that I can use for wider cuts. I seem to remember that you had a DeWalt RAS that you refurbished. Do you still have it, or did you sell it? If you have an RAS, or you plan to have another in the future, you don't need a slider, IMO. A regular CMS is more accurate and holds its adjustments better...especially if you're moving it around on a job site building your shop.
Bob
I like the idea of a slider but I don't like the idea of carrying it from job site to another.
The shop will be secure this time, I am using this plan one car garage plan http://www.behmdesign.com/garage-plans-2...12x20.aspx