L-Shaped Desk Design Help
Hi all - My boy want's to build an L-shaped desk for his college apartment. He is a computer science major and needs a lot of space for all of his gear (dual monitor, multiple laptops, tablet, etc...) so he settled on an L design. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal designing a good sturdy desk, however we are trying to plan for the future. Over the next 10 years he will most likely be moving a lot (he is a senior and in Airforce ROTC so once he commissions, he could be bouncing around every few years). With this in mind, we want to be able to completely disassemble this to the core parts for easy moving, and I want to make sure that when assembled, it is rock solid. I also would like to ensure that no metal fasteners are seen on the outside.

The design is such that if he has a big enough room, the L will be completely assembled. Or, if he is has a little room, the L can be excluded and just the main part will used. Or, when he has a place with a good amount of space, the desk can be full assembled and used in the middle of the room and not necessarily jammed into a corner. Drawer cabinets can/will be added later as his needs change, but for now we are focusing on the main desk.

My fear is that it will be wobbly with it only having panel sides/back and a top. I'm planning to run a 45 degree support from the mid point of the side panels to the back (parallel with the top and hidden by the apron) in all 3 corners. That should help keep it square and the top from racking.

But, in corners of the panel intersections, how can I fasten the sides to the back for max support? Would corner brackets on the inside be enough to keep it from racking vertically? Is there a more aesthetically pleasing way to join these without big metal brackets?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks - Dark

A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
Your design looks to be a lot of frame and panel pieces. If those are constructed well, meaning well fitted frames, the assembly will be very strong and rigid. I don't see the need for the diagonal bracing you show. The end panels, however, at least look too insubstantial, and I suspect they would be the source of flex and low rigidity. I would consider making them far thicker or, better yet, as narrow, four sided boxes.

I would assemble it with KD fittings. There are many options available and most/all would be invisible. Perhaps the corners could be joined with completely hidden taper connectors or keyhole fittings. The two sections of the top could be joined with Tite Joint fasteners or something similar. It all looks very doable.

John
I think if you make a strong connection at top intersection (where they connect) it'll be fine. Also think I'd put the support braces for the top from the apron to the back panel, and vertical, not flat like the picture shows. Once together and in place with a little weight on it, it won't be moving much. Especially with an adult using it.
KC said:

... Also think I'd put the support braces for the top from the apron to the back panel, and vertical, not flat like the picture shows. ...

Or perhaps make the tops as stress panels.

John
I have just one structural comment. Good advice above on fasteners. You show a heavy reinforcement piece (grey color) under the right hand "L". I think that piece should be on the back side of the apron and be continuous from the left end to the back of the right "L". This piece supports both the front edge of both "L's" and needs to be sturdy and continuous to prevent the front edges from sagging. This is particularly important if the top is to be loaded with computer equipment, books, etc.
Does he plan on having a computer in the corner with a tray for the keyboard (like some do), or will he have them set up on the side pieces? If it is on the side pieces, you might want to consider two separate desks. Give more flexibility in setup (L shape, or more of a desk and credenza option). However, if his legs are going to go near that corner then nevermind.

Mark

Off-topic, but related. If possible, make it able to be knocked-down flat. The DoD does not pay for the first move. So his first move will be a do it yourself. Or you will likely be the one bringing it to him at some future date. The few months to year after being commissioned you son will be in school likely in a Temporary Duty Status. Once initial schooling is done, then it is on to the first assignment. If he lives in the Bachelor Officer Quarters to start off there will likely be little room to set up his desk. Think of college dorm room without a roommate.

Everything I owned plus that of another 2LT, commissioned the same day, fit into a 1979 Monte Carlo that we traveled in from Spokane, WA to Augusta GA.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Looks like a good design to me!
Those panels aren't going to rack.
I would consider attaching short section with threaded inserts and screws.
jppierson said:

Off-topic, but related. If possible, make it able to be knocked-down flat. The DoD does not pay for the first move. So his first move will be a do it yourself. Or you will likely be the one bringing it to him at some future date. The few months to year after being commissioned you son will be in school likely in a Temporary Duty Status. Once initial schooling is done, then it is on to the first assignment. If he lives in the Bachelor Officer Quarters to start off there will likely be little room to set up his desk. Think of college dorm room without a roommate.

Everything I owned plus that of another 2LT, commissioned the same day, fit into a 1979 Monte Carlo that we traveled in from Spokane, WA to Augusta GA.

They won't pay to move anything to the training assignment, but the BOQ/VOQ will have a desk anyway. They'll move it to the first permanent party location. Unless they've changed it...
I like the design but I think you may have some issues with the top sagging where the two sections meet. I think I would consider building two light weight torsion boxes that fit inside the top rails that the tops would sit on. I feel this would help eliminate any racking issues as well. You could even put some blocking inside for possible keyboard drawers etc. to attach to later on.

BTH