Stihl String Trimmer Starter Rope Not Rewinding
I can get a model number iffn it matters, but figured they are all pretty much the same setup. Anyway, the trimmer starter rope isn't rewinding. If I take the rope/spring assembly off the back of the engine and pull it, it rewinds. If I put it on and pull it I can feel it turning the engine over, but it won't rewind the string. Do I need a new spring? This is my dad's trimmer, not sure how old it is.
Sounds like something is binding. If it retracts when the assembly is off the machine then the spring must be OK. Did you try cleaning it out really well before you put the assembly back on? Blowing it out with compressed air should get the dirt out of the assembly. When you put it back on put the screws on loose and make sure it retracts OK. Then tighten the screws slowly and keep checking as you go that it retracts.

John
Check the Pawl (6) and see if it retracts when you pull the rope. It should pull out when pulling the rope and swing back in when you release the rope..

Well, Bye...
Thanks Mags. I should take a pic with the starter rope assembly off. I'm not sure what it looks like when it is done correctly. Also, with the rope assembly off I can pull the rope and it will rewind back up all but the last 6". Does that mean I messed up putting it back together, or does it mean I need a new spring? If it matters, the trimmer is an FS80.
crokett™ said:

Thanks Mags. I should take a pic with the starter rope assembly off. I'm not sure what it looks like when it is done correctly. Also, with the rope assembly off I can pull the rope and it will rewind back up all but the last 6". Does that mean I messed up putting it back together, or does it mean I need a new spring? If it matters, the trimmer is an FS80.

When I have a rope that won't rewind all the way it's usually one of two things- I did t get enough tension on the spring or, in the case of replacing the starter rope, I made the rope too long.
Can ya get more tension on the spring?
Probably not enough tension on the rope. There are youtube videos out there that will show you how to add a bit more tension. Basic principle is pull rope till it is fully extended and then wind it a couple more times using the notch on the side of the rope pulley. It will add the required tension needed to get the rope to fully seat.
Well, Bye...
I will try that. I will also check part number 6.

If you look at Mags' diagram the spring has a hook on each end. the spring sits in a recess on part number 2. The outside hook engages a slit cut in the side of the recess. The inside hook engages on a similar slit on the shaft of that part. Until both of these hooks catch the spring just spins, it doesn't really build tension.
Save yourself the aggravation an take it to a small engine shop.

You probably have better things to do, don't you?

Now how do I know this?
Yes I do and yes I am. Gonna drop it off Saturday.
Took fifteen minutes last time I had to do it. Less time than dropping it off. Easy Peezy.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis