Spray Paint for Baby Cribs
My granddaughter is expecting twin girls sometime late November. She has two cribs (used) that we plan to clean and paint. I will probably use some Zinsser Seal Coat first. Can anyone give me some spray paint suggestion for these cribs?

I have the Fuji Mini-Mite 3, a three stage HVLP sprayer, along with a normal needle set and the next larger needle set.

I’ve sprayed Benjamin Moore’s Advanced with moderate success. I’ve thinned it more than recommended and used the larger needle set. Even then it’s a challenge.

I’ve considered using Sherwin Williams’ Pro Classic, but I think it will be similar to the BM’s Advantage.

I know that I could oil based enamel, but I don’t like the long drying time. Lacquer would be nice to spray, but would it be suitable for baby cribs? I think I would like use water borne enamel or something similar.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Gary in Wake Forest, NC
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Real shellac . While all current finishes are non-toxic when cured; that is not the same as safe for human consumption! Shellac is.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I think you will do well with Pro Classic, several folks have mentioned that BM Advanced is a little tough to deal with. The Seal Coat is a good choice to insure adhesion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
JR1 said:

Real shellac . While all current finishes are non-toxic when cured; that is not the same as safe for human consumption! Shellac is.

M & Ms are coated with shellac, so you know it is safe. I second the shellac suggestion.

Here a quote from the Vegetarian Resource Group:

Shellac has GRAS status by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which means that it is generally recognized as safe in foods. If used as a fruit or vegetable coating, it may be labeled as lac resin or as shellac. - See more at: http://www.vrg.org/blog/2010/11/30/q-a-o...bKF0p.dpuf

Gold leaf is also edible (you see it on very expensive chocolates). So you can have a two tone with natural wood and gold.

See: http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Gold-25-3-3...B0006GSQYK
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have not used the BM, But I have used the SW pro classic. Never tried to spray it as it is pretty thick.

Another option is milk paint, top coated with a clear water based finish.
SW's waterborne Pro Classic is really, really thick, infinity through a #4 Ford cup. You can't spray it with conventional HVLP equipment without a lot of thinning. I would look for something different and Scoony's suggestion of milk paint + clearcoat makes a lot of sense. Another option is GF's Enduro White Poly, which can be tinted any color you want.

John
Nitocellulose is ok'd by the FDA as an 'indirect food additive' (allowed in packaging that touches food).
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cd...=nitrocellulose

Regardless of the finish selected, you may want to consider adding plastic teething rails.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.