Hell has Frozen Over
Because Lie-Nielsen's Honing Guide is on the market! For now, it appears it's just the standard guide, and that any other jaw sets aren't available. A mere $125.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/honi...esstandard

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
but it .made in usa.
Really looks nice----but, I do such a nice job without training wheels....
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
wing nut said:

but it .made in usa.

The Bridge City HG-1 Honing Guide is also made in the US, and is $249, but I don't see a long line of buyers beating down the door to get one. In fact, you'd have to search long and hard to even know one exists.

I'm really wanting to hear from those who get one and review it, but on paper, I'm really skeptical about the value of this, even if it's Made in the USA. As far as I can tell, this LN guide now holds the distinction of being the second most expensive honing guide on the market. Kell guides are $70-90 each.

For $6 less than the LN standard guide, you can get the Made In Canada Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide Set, which includes standard and narrow blade holders, and the cambered roller. LN says their guide is specifically made to fit LN blades and chisels. So, will it or will it not work on other chisels or blades? The LN guide still requires the user set up a jig or measure the blade projection to achieve a certain angle. The Veritas Guide's alignment tool does that without guesswork. And, the Veritas Guide has a clever cam adjuster on the roller that increases the angle 1 or 2 deg for secondary bevels, without having to release the blade from the guide. Other than the multiple jaw sets hopefully soon-to-be-released from Lie-Nielsen, I don't get the advantage over an Eclipse style guide other than the obvious quality improvement. No doubt, the LN guide is flawlessly made from high quality materials. If someone wants to buy one, more power to them. As for myself, I'm wanting more value before I take the plunge.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm still hoping Jim Ritter will go commercial with his guide. Looks to be possibly superior to all of them in terms of range of function: skews, pig stickers, narrow normal as well as all sizes of plane irons. Haven't tried it to put on a camber yet.

I also have the Veritas + cambered roller and the Kell jig for narrow and short stuff. I'm covered.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It's just a cold snap.

Hell will totally freeze over when the plow plane comes out.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I'm not complaining (OK, maybe I am) but the whole reason to want something new was to be able to do stuff that the Eclipse can't. As far as I can tell, the base guide doesn't do anything that my $10 Eclipse can't except make me $115 poorer. I'm a big L-N fan and buy stuff from them every year when I'm in Maine. But, given how long this took, I'm not ready to bite until I see the short, narrow, skew, and thick blade attachments. Until then, the guide isn't worth more than $10 to me. Absolutely no interest in having the base guide without the attachments.

Just my thoughts.

Steve
Bibliophile 13 said:

It's just a cold snap.

Hell will totally freeze over when the plow plane comes out.

Sorry, that would just be snow flurries, Hell freezes over when they come out with the No. 52 chute board to go with the 51 plane
pat
Thanks for the plug Curt. I'm almost finished a run of eight, and doing the final hurdles for the patent. Another couple of weeks.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
AHill said:

[blockquote]wing nut said:

but it .made in usa.

The Bridge City HG-1 Honing Guide is also made in the US, and is $249, but I don't see a long line of buyers beating down the door to get one. In fact, you'd have to search long and hard to even know one exists.

I'm really wanting to hear from those who get one and review it, but on paper, I'm really skeptical about the value of this, even if it's Made in the USA. As far as I can tell, this LN guide now holds the distinction of being the second most expensive honing guide on the market. Kell guides are $70-90 each.

For $6 less than the LN standard guide, you can get the Made In Canada Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide Set, which includes standard and narrow blade holders, and the cambered roller. LN says their guide is specifically made to fit LN blades and chisels. So, will it or will it not work on other chisels or blades? The LN guide still requires the user set up a jig or measure the blade projection to achieve a certain angle. The Veritas Guide's alignment tool does that without guesswork. And, the Veritas Guide has a clever cam adjuster on the roller that increases the angle 1 or 2 deg for secondary bevels, without having to release the blade from the guide. Other than the multiple jaw sets hopefully soon-to-be-released from Lie-Nielsen, I don't get the advantage over an Eclipse style guide other than the obvious quality improvement. No doubt, the LN guide is flawlessly made from high quality materials. If someone wants to buy one, more power to them. As for myself, I'm wanting more value before I take the plunge.

[/blockquote]

Looks like the other jaws are avaliable-

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4115/s...are/2?uri=