Light bulb life incandescent vs LED
meackerman said:

CFLs aren't that great outside, because of what you mentioned. I have some can lights over my carport. in two I have LEDs and the other two CFLs.

Before I spend more money on LEDs for the other cans, I'm waiting to see how they hold up. But these lights aren't motion activated. Its seems like the constant on/off of motion activation is what kills the LEDs I've tried other places.

The LEDs I've seen are not bright enough for my outdoor application. I have to be careful on the CFLs. Some won't turn on at low temperatures. There is usually a temperature range listed on the package.

The CFLs replace 120 watt incandescents so even though I use a two light fixture in place of the spot light it is a lot less wattage involved.

I have a pocket flashlight that puts out 1,000 lumens (brighter than your high beams). You would think that they could make a bulb that is 100 watt equivalent (some say they are but my eyes tell me otherwise).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

[blockquote]Cooler said:

I ordered dimables (Cree, daylight) they arrive today. They are rated for 25,000 hours which is approximately what I am getting from the dimmed incandescent bulbs. If they don't get much better life than 25,000 hours then it is a bad investment for me. They cost about 10 times what an incandescent bulb costs.

If they go 6 years instead of 3 years the money does not work but the convenience does. But if they last the same 3 years I will have wasted about $30.00.

If your math is correct you could have bought 10 light bulbs to one and for the little inconvience of changing them will outweigh the cost. The savings in the bill is not that noticable when dealing with such low wattage. Good luck though. You are helping the enviroment.

[/blockquote]

Changing the bulbs in this light fixture is a real chore. When one bulb burns out I replace all three. I know I am throwing out money but I don't want to climb a ladder and remove that globe any more often than required. It is surprisingly difficult to get the globe back on.
they make LED bulbs that are 100 watt equivalent (1600 Lumens), but at $20 I've never tried one.

linky

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have 2 outdoor lights at the back door with motion sensors and LED bulbs.

They work awesome for me. and they have seen -30C (that's really cold for you), work just like they are supposed to.

Don't remember the brand, might be Phillips, got them at HD.
Do you have an LED-approved dimmer switch? It is my understanding that a regular dimmer will not work on LED - and the LED-rated ones are not cheap.
Well, the Cree 60 watt equivalent (9 watt actual) daylight, dimable bulbs arrived last night. It was a package of four and with tax and shipping it came to $41.52 from Amazon.com.

My earlier experience (last year) with Philips 60 watt equivalent was not good. They were not nearly as bright as a real 60 watt bulb and two of them failed a few months down the road.

I screwed in three in the three-bulb fixture and turned it on. Way, way brighter than the standard 60 watt bulbs that they replaced. I'm having trouble adjusting to the daylight color--a warm light version is available.

It dims to about 1/3 brightness. I have Lutron dimmers and I don't know if they are "rated" to work with LEDs, but they seem to work fine. The dimmest setting is too bright to use as a night light, so I will be snapping the switch to the off position at night and I will have to get a real night light.

On high I am using 27 watts as compared with 180 watts, a nice savings.

The package says that it has a true 360 degree light spread and I would have to say that the claim seems to be true.

If they don't suffer an early failure I think that they are a home run. Good light color and quality and bright, bright, bright. (And 1/6th the energy consumption.)
$41 for 4? how about...

Cree 60w daylight Dimmable $5 each

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

meackerman said:

$41 for 4? how about...

Cree 60w daylight Dimmable $5 each

But the 6-pack costs over $60.00. And the singles are not available in our local store according to the website. Does not make sense.
LIL

Until the cost factor comes down and reliability factor goes up, I'm not going LED anytime soon; I guess its dependent upon how high your electricity rates are. I conserve energy the old fashioned way, just shut off the lights unless they are needed.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
odd. my store has so many of these they've got them lining the center of the aisles with them.

Mark