Rockler/Wood Mag Sewing Center
LOML wants me to build the Rockler/Wood Mag sewing center. I have ordered the plans but wanted to get some ideas and thoughts from anyone that has already build one.

Any changes or mods that you made or should have made to the plans?

Enough leg room with the drawers on the left side?

Add a drop leaf shelf on the back?

Is Rockler's lift ok?

Anything else I should be aware/afraid of?

Thanks!!
I built one a few years ago and the only changes I made were to add the drop down shelf in the back. It is about 18" wide and the full length of the base. I used a locking hinge at both ends of the shelf. I also added ball rollers so it could be moved around. I'm not sure if the plan called for them or not but I remember I had to make a modification late in the game at my late wife's request. The opening is very narrow so some modification could be in order there. Otherwise it was pretty much to plan. dd
I built it many years ago when that issue first came out. The lift is still in perfect working order (much to my surprise). I was always worried that the front face of the cabinet would not be stiff enough to avoid sagging over the years, but that also has not been the case. It's actually still fairly square, even though LOML leaves it open all the time with the sewing machine and serger sitting on their shelves. I think I made mine a little larger (I didn't go back to look at the plan), but the cabinet is 48" wide with a 20" knee hole. That has been adequate for LOML's use. I remember reading some posts back then that some guys had trouble making the feet, but I don't recall that being a particular problem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I haven't built this design but have built others for my wife and can make a couple of suggestions from looking at the photo. First, is the height of the machine correct for your wife; improper height can cause back, neck and shoulder pain. Note the difference in height between the height of the sewing area (technically, this is the sewing table of the machine) of the sewing machine and the serger; one will be comfortable and one won't, most likely. Second, the sewing machine cutout and lift should be further to the right so that the needle is more centered in front of the person sewing; the way the machine is shown, the person would need to twist to the left to get both hands in the sewing area and I believe the drawers would then get in the way, besides just being an awkward position.
Don
Thanks guys!

LongLook: I like the idea of a drop down shelf on the back and will plan to add that. Not sure about the opening yet, but am considering making the drawers narrower or leaving them out altogether.

Fred: Good to know about the lift and that the thing stays square with both doors left open. I havent given the feet any thought but I guess the plan will be ok for them. May want to add rollers/casters to them as well.

BTW, I have plenty of nothing to spare and will send you a box full if you need some more<g>.

Don: I would think that the needle should be at least in the middle of the table. I don't sew, but can imagine if it was further left for a right handed person, it would be tough. Is there a good way to determine the optimum table height for sewing?

Thanks for the comments!
Well, I received the plans from Rockler for the Wood Mag Sewing Center.

Not only are they very hard for me to read...printed in a light blue... but are on a piece of paper that is almost as big as my entire shop<g>. I would like to find the back issue of Wood that had the plans. Unfortunately, my subscription does not go back that far. If anyone has it and would like to sell their copy, please PM me.

I will definitely have to make some modifications to the plans. LOML's machine is 11" x 21" so it is on the larger size. It also weighs around 30 - 32lbs so is at the higher end for the Rockler lift, but should be ok (hoppefully).
I set out to build one 10 years ago or so and reviewed the plans with my wife. She decided she didn't want the lift, nor did she want the fold open top and swing out support leg. I ended up making a much simpler cabinet and she's very happy with it. What I'm saying is make sure you build what your wife wants.

John
Thanks, John.

Very good point!!
The lifts are really good, and work as you would want them to, at least the ones from 15 or so years back did.

Don't know anything about a plan for a sewing center. I think it best to seat the person to use it in a chair they want to use, and just design it around their seated position, use their reach, knees, and every other angle you can think of, add the drawers they want, and get busy. Seeing one or two at a sewing center should easily resolve any mysteries. All straight lines, and panels, a pretty easy build, once you figure out what your customer wants.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW