Sawstop files Lawsuit against Bosch
Easy solution ... Bosch buys SawStop. Except for the saw in question, does Bosch have anything now that is the same as the SawStop line, even without the safety feature?

---
See ya later,
Bill
First thing is the patent date when he got it.

The second is the flesh sensing device which looks like Bosch might have copied but the de-activing devise is different.

How long are patents good for?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
All I know is that before this is over a lot of innocent weenies will die!
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Trusty Rusty said:

All I know is that before this is over a lot of innocent weenies will die!
Rusty

Now that's funny!
They will be perfectly fine. Neither saw can cut a weenie.
Bill_de said:

Easy solution ... Bosch buys SawStop. Except for the saw in question, does Bosch have anything now that is the same as the SawStop line, even without the safety feature?

---

Thats what I mean. Either they over pay and buy the company (which Bosch could easily do) or pay them to drop the suit...

Either way I cant imagine that SS doesn't have a plan for this day. Guess we will see this play out over the next few years.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

From what I have learned about the two saws I can't see Sawstop having a case. You can use ideas if you improve it significantly. My understanding on the Bosch it doesn't grab the blade - I think that's an improvement. The big deal will be the circuit. Of course there will be similarities - they both sense flesh.

It will be interesting.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Isn't the Bosch System based on Antilock brakes that they use in cars? Maybe sawstop thinks they can get a piece of that action?
I have actually seen the Bosch saw about a month back.

No cartridge slamming in the blade, the cartridge actually drives the trunnions down. The SawStop stops the blade but the trunnions drop out via gravity.

The Bosch cartridge is also two-sided, when one trigger happens, you flip it over and you are back in operation.

I will be working with a SawStop job site saw next week in Vegas at AWFS.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I can't say who has a leg to stand on. Most likely SawStop has yet another bad patent that make overly bad claims and patents an idea or method. Those are not patentable but the Patent Orifice has allowed far too many. Unfortunately the C.A.F.C.¹ is an inept and incompetent failed experiment. It was founded to centralize all patent appeals and obtain more relevant and better quality rulings. Unfortunately it has become an old boys club for patent lawyers and has actively been perverting patent law. The USSC ha overturned all their recent rulings which have been appealed.

It does not matter who gets an idea—ideas can not be patented—only inventions (a method for implementing an idea)—can be patented. If Bosch ha a way of implementing SawStop's idea that is significantly different—whether or not it is better—then it has it's own valid patent.

¹ The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes