Moving too new single car garage shop. Advice needed.
Haven't watched this yet...but have kept it bookmarked...maybe it will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuKIBWqg5yI
Yup. Wheels. Everything in mine is on wheels except the lathe, RAS, and DP. Otherwise I'd be screwed.

Find some old cabinets that are being dumped on CL. They don't need to be pretty. Hang them on the walls.

At least 2 220V lines, as suggested. I only have one, but it works for my set up.

LOTS of lighting.

LOTS of outlets. One circuit for all the outlets is fine if you're only using one tool + DC at a time.
Semper fi,
Brad

Thanks for the advice so far.
I don’t know why but I didn’t think about putting things on casters. It is a simple answer that solves a multitude of problems.

I plan on having three 20a runs to feed outlets set 52 inches high, every 4 feet along the walls. Plus dedicated circuits for lighting, table saw, dust collector, window AC (or mini-split system)
The overhead lighting is going to be 8 Costco LED shop-lights on two switches. Four to a switch. That way I can have ½ or full lighting as needed. The garage also has two narrow north facing windows set 6 feet high so light should not be a problem.
I don’t have any 220v tools yet but I will leave room for expansion and I will think about putting in at least one 220 outlet.

Great idea for having knockdown assembly and cutting tables. That way they store out of the way.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Nothing to it, makes working a little slow though.

1 to 3 German Shepherds as shop dogs don't help. Building size, 12 X 24, yes, with a stairway that don't help to the loft, yes, wheels are mandatory.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708
chips ahoy said:

Most important thing is don't allow vehicles in there. Start that and you lose your shop.

Mel

Don't let SWMBO put anything else in there, either.

My TS is piled high with all kinds of refuse at the moment <sigh>
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
Terry W said:

OK guys, we are getting ready to move in a couple of weeks.

The new place has a detached 16’x 27’ single car garage that will be my new workshop. It is a brand new space. Standard single car garage door and the interior is still just 2x4 studs. It is not wired yet but I had the electrician put in a 100 amp subpanel.

Since it is not a large area, I’m looking for tool placement and work area suggestions to make the most of my new shop’s footprint.

If you have a similar shop or work in a small shop I would appreciate any suggestions.
I have the normal stuff. Table saw, band-saw, HF dust collector, radial arm saw, 6 inch jointer, bench-top planer, bench top drill press. 6ft work bench.

Any suggestions for the best layout of the main shop tools with room for wood storage too?

Insulate everything! Now is the time to do it. Well, after you run your electrical.

Lots of lights.

Place your wall outlets higher than 48 inches just in case you need to lean sheet goods against the wall.
Terry,

Here's how I had my one car shop configured.

As everyone mentioned, wheels under everything.

Since then we've moved and I now have a 20x24 stand alone shop in the back yard. It's still not big enough.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
MT Stringer said:

Insulate everything! Now is the time to do it. Well, after you run your electrical.

Lots of lights.

+1, especially on the lights. No better time to do this than when the garage is empty. Don't be cheap on your lights. I got the commercial grade fluorescent lights with electronic ballast, and I bought the daylight 6500°K lights. Amazing how much better you can see things with the right lighting.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Good overall lighting is great, but I also like some adjustable lights, like an arm mounted desk lamp, screwed to the wall. Then you can swing it around and point it at any particular detail thing like the lathe or scroll saw as needed for the fine work. 2 lamps to shine on something is even better as it cuts down on the shadows.
I agree with the LED lighting. It is a LOT of light for really cheap cost, after you buy the fixtures, and they last forever. The company I work for is starting to transition to LED lighting. At one property, the 50 watt LED puts out more light than our 250 watt HPS lights and it is a much whiter light. Our residents have been commenting on how bright and safe the new lighting makes them feel.

I will be changing out my 3 fluorescent garage lights for LEDs over the next 4 months.