Any suggestions on how to handle this?
I'm building a pair of mission style end tables to match a couple of chairs we recently purchased.

My plan is to make the drawers into charging stations for our tablets so the table tops aren't cluttered like they are now with tablets and cords, etc. Each leg will be 4 rift sawn pieces joined by lock miters which will leave a 3/4" hollow in each. I'll run an electrical cord up through one of the back legs and into the drawer so I can plug in a power strip for the chargers.

I'll need to allow some slack in the cord to allow for the drawer to be opened. What I'm looking for is a good way to draw the slack back into the drawer when the drawer is closed so it doesn't just droop down the back of the table. I have one idea that might work but Id like to see if there are other methods that might be slicker.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Nice idea. I'd just get a coiled cord somewhere to provide the slack. Ideally it would be coiled USB cord. The real problem comes if you have more than 1 device and/or more than 1 connector style.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I think you'd be better served managing the power cable than the accessory cables.

How about an retractable electric cable:

Then you could attach what ever port device you wished.

Other options could be found in the computer industry for managing cables:

Spiral cable tenders:

Folding mechanisms:

That should be enough to get you started.

Having said that, I'm not so sure enclosing any cable within the leg is such a good idea.
~Dan.
Dan,

As a retired system admin I should have thought about the cable management arms. However I might have come up with a simpler solution.

If I run the power cable across the underside of the table top and mount an outlet in the middle of the top, I could plug the power strip into that and all the slack would stay inside the drawer. I'll have to explore that further.

What's your concern about running an extention up the center of a leg? Doesn't seem to be much different than running it up the back of the leg.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Mount the cord to the middle of one side of the table. when the drawer is closed the cord is tight. as it opens it goes slack then tightens up when the drawer is full open.
Quote:

What's your concern about running an extention up the center of a leg?

I don't think that there is any danger involved as lamps are ultimately made the same way.
However, my life history has taught me that if I encapsulate anything in such a way I will ultimately regret doing so.

I'm sure you'll find an elegant solution.
~Dan.
Keeping extra cord inside the drawer box, or better yet using retractable cord device, just mount it inside the drawer.

retractable power, just spec for what type of end you need
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Timely thread. I've been scratching my head trying to figure the power (both AC and 12v) to the chest fridge I want to mount in a drawer in the van.

I'm intrigued by the drawer slide pictured with the cords zigzagging. Where can I find more info?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Carolyn,

There are a number of options. Do a search for cable management arms.

Cliff
Charles Bukowski
Whoa! I feel like I jumped into another world. The pictures don't help. I'm starting a new thread.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson