HELP! Delta 22-580 Shelix Cutter Replacement
I consider myself somewhat mechanical, but I've gotten to the point where I'm stumped. I have removed the housings and covers that expose the chain drive on one side and the motor belt drive on the other side of the planer. All manner of gears and sprockets are now staring me in the face.

Does anyone have experience in replacing their Delta 22-580 planer with a helix head? How do I proceed? Do I need a bearing puller of any sort? I don't want to damage anything at this point.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I guess I'm on my own here. Hopefully, it all works out. I'll document my progress in case anyone else out there attempts the same.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Sorry no help was forthcoming. I have the same machine and replacing the head is on my 'one of these days' list. Good luck and by all means document the progress!
Allan if you haven't started look at the DeWalt 735 install. The heads are almost the same, and even though the configuration is different for the same designed part to go in, it has to have similarities. If you have yours apart, it shouldn't take you long to see if it is obvious. Just a thought.

This kid looks like a burnout, but he has an orderly video, and his path gets it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XucCQYbhLM

He splits the video into a few parts.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've looked at the Dewalt 735 install videos. Byrd also has a pdf version on their site. It appears to be a similar process once you get to the guts, which is where I'm at now. I've been on hold a couple of days with other outside interests. This morning, I took a bearing puller to one of the gears and it's coming off without any issues, just as I hand tighten the puller screw. I'm taking pics and will post the process when I'm done. Might take a week or so to complete. I'm doing it in a rather confined space and need to clear some stuff out to make sure all the parts don't disappear when I'm ready to put it back together. From the looks of it, I might be the first to document the process for public consumption.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just an update. The installation is complete. A few hiccups along the way, but nothing went terribly wrong. I'm in the process of annotating all my pics with the intent of making a tutorial out of the installation. Should be a few days before I'm done, then I'll post the tutorial here. There are a few significant differences between the Dewalt DW735 and the Delta 22-580.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Very much looking forward to it. One of these I may take it on.
Thanks!
New thread posted with the installation tutorial. Whew!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill