Western Red Cedar or White Oak for trellis?
My folks want a trellis on one side of their deck. My Dad proposed 6" squares for the lattice which I plan to make by half-lapping the wood. Which will survive outdoors longer with plants growing on it, white oak or western red cedar? I've got 4/4 white oak. I figure the oak will at least be stronger and they'll both turn gray over time. Maybe some other *domestic* wood is better suited for this? Will kiln dried PT wood still warp badly?

BTW, what are you paying for WRC in your area? My local guy has on his website "call" for the price which has me worried.

Thanks,
Paul
Can't help with the pricing - but I'd guess cedar will outlast oak given our weather.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
You're right that white oak will be stronger, but I think cedar would work fine, too, as long as the cross sections aren't really dinky. I've used redwood in 3/4" cross section with no problems, and it has similar strength to cedar. The grain of cedar won't be as pronounced as it weathers if that's a consideration. Black locust and red mulberry would be even better choices, and Ipe' or Cumaru even better than that.

John
jteneyck said:

Ipe' or Cumaru even better than that.

John

John, thanks for jogging my memory! I forgot I also have several ipe boards I got at the Restore years ago. Just need to rip everything and go! Done!

Only down side is I don't really enjoy working with it. It's heavy and all the cut edges are as sharp as knives.

Thanks
Paul
atgcpaul said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

Ipe' or Cumaru even better than that.

John

John, thanks for jogging my memory! I forgot I also have several ipe boards I got at the Restore years ago. Just need to rip everything and go! Done!

Only down side is I don't really enjoy working with it. It's heavy and all the cut edges are as sharp as knives.

Thanks
Paul

[/blockquote]

Oh yeah, Ipe' is really heavy. I've put down about 1000 linear feet of 5/4 x 6" on my new deck. Those 18 footers will really get your attention, as will any splinters you get. But it will be a great choice for a trellis. Just be sure to use really good screws to hold everything together, preferably stainless.
Both very survivable for a long time in that use, IF it is off the ground at the bottom.

Oak much stronger, and remember if you are talking Trellis it usually contains some amount of the very thin basket weave. If not then either is as strong as you will need. If it has trellis the WO will be much stronger.

Cedar, maybe cheaper, really depends where you live, and are you weaving from stock, or buying ready made? WO in the rough can be almighty cheap.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Why do you want to half lap it? A whole lot of work and, if placed on a wall or fence non-lapped is functionally better because it is easier to tie in plants and gives them more space to twine through. For me, the 3D texture of non-lapped trellis is also more visually pleasing. It may well also be longer lasting because there is less end grain for water to be trapped in.

Jim