turning a leg for a big coffee table?
I need to turn a large leg for a slab coffee table--or find someone who can do it for me. Here's my question. How can I make sure that the leg is the correct diameter so that it fits snugly into the hole made by the forstner bit -- probably 1 7/8 inch in diameter. Or should I attach the leg with a square mortise and tenon and simply turn the leg below that?
You can use a round tenon. Typically you would use a dividers or a simple gauge and turn the tenon until the dividers/gauge just slip over the tenon. Remove a little bit of wood at a time until it fits. Some folks will use an open end wrench as a gauge. Or you could make one from a scrap of plywood with a notch of the correct width cut in it.
Personal preference here: square mortise and tenon.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Square is easier to make tenon, harder for mortise. I suggest staying cylindrical, drill a 1 7/8 with Forstner, turn the tenon close but slightly larger than needed, and then continue to sneak up to perfect fit by the cut and try, repeat method.
If you are scared of turning it too small and have a sloppy fit. Use sand paper to get it to the final thickness. You could drill an 1 7/8" hole in a piece of scrap to use to test fit.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If you are worried about getting a solid fit, you can drill your socket hole in a piece of scrap, then cut the scrap in half and use it as a gauge as you turn the tenon.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
All good advice here. But I realize now that I may not have a choice and will have to use a square mortise and tenon and shape the leg by hand, without a lathe, which we don't have. Any advice for the best way to do this?
overland said:

All good advice here. But I realize now that I may not have a choice and will have to use a square mortise and tenon and shape the leg by hand, without a lathe, which we don't have. Any advice for the best way to do this?

Look up a local turning club in your area. Go to a meeting and ask if someone would be interested in turning the piece for you. I am sure you won't have a problem finding a helpful turner.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You can make round(ish) legs very well with a draw knife to take off the waste, then refine the shape with spokeshaves. It wont be perfect geometry, but it will look fine.
Cheers

Chataigner in PĂ©rigord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr
You may get more input if you post this in the wood turning section.