Steel City TS
I remember a couple posts about SC shutting down and today I went to start my saw and it half started up, then quit. Verified voltage to the switch. Thought I would try the warranty number and was told all warranties are gone. So much for the 5 year warranty, which was the reason I bought the saw. Probably not a surprise to most here and I guess I was keeping my head in the sand about the warranty.

Hopefully it is just the switch and nothing more. Back to trouble shooting, I guess.

Bob
I just picked up a SC table saw for cheap, the guy I bought it from had just purchased it. Apparently they've been bought by someone in Canada, IIRC.

So I'd look around a bit more to see if the new company is honoring the warranties.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I'm still looking around. I also just came back from trouble shooting some more and it may be the switch. I have 120v on both sides coming in but only one leg on the other side has power.

Bob
I just found a post online that say general international bought them. I have about 1.5years on the 5 year warranty, it would be nice if they honored, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bob
I just got off the phone with Todd, from wood werks and he said it wasn't GI, but Normand out of Canada, that bought them. He says that they are somewhat honoring warranties but shipping is not covered. He doesn't think they would cover a switch on a 3.5 year tool and even if they did the shipping would probably cost more than buying one online somewhere.

Bob
Well, here's your problem:
The possible culprit may have been a loose crimp fitting that pulled out when I started playing with the switch. Loose connection + starting draw of power = crispy switch?

And here's your solution (don't worry temporary):

I received a call back, from the new company, that owns SC, just after getting this running again and no warranty at all, from them. He said some distributors that are selling new SC tools are offering a 1 year warranty on their own. He made it sound like some people are looking to get things going again for SC though. I'm not sure what position the guy was in the company but he was extremely helpful and helped me source a new part on amazon for about $14. I could have bought a switch through them for $14 but the shipping was $25. I asked about other parts availability, for the future and he said no problem they are always getting shipments in with more parts and will be doing so for the foreseeable future.

Bob
Glad it was something minor and that you were able to get it up & running.

Don't knock the wall switch in a box method of replacing a power tool switch... as long as it's 110 volt, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. My bandsaw has had a temporary wall switch in it for about 3 years now. (One of those foam weatherproofing inserts keeps basically all the dust out.) I put the switch in because the person I bought it from had wired the power cables together permanently and just controlled the saw by plugging it in and unplugging it.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
I had to do the same thing with my first lathe. You had to reach all the way around the ginormous stand, it was on, to pull the 2 inch long pull cord on the back of the motor, not fun when you need to turn it on and off, while turning.

This saw is 3HP, 220V and I happened to have several 120-240v 20A switches on hand, so it worked out good. At least I can use the saw, in the mean time. The new switch was ordered and should hopefully arrive in a couple days.

Bob
You can get a Grizzly replacement on Ebay for cheap money.
Other brands also.
Hi Bob.

Is the new switch a magnetic switch vs a latching switch - meaning if the power gets cut off while using it the saw will stay off when the power is turned back on (magnetic switch feature)?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.