woodworking clubs in Chicago?
I've seen them mentioned in other cities--Kansas City, for example. But are there any in Chicago? I don't have a workshop, or room for one, and so I wonder if there are any organizations in Chicago that offer might offer shop space for a modest fee.
Slav may chime in, but the Midwestern Tool and Collector's Association often meets in Chicago. I don't know how often they meet. I think they rotate where they meet. I googled "woodworking clubs in Chicago" and came up with several. You could also contact the Chicago School of Woodworking and ask them which they recommend.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The Chicago school of woodworking offers shop time on Saturdays at $10 an hour--and you have to take three of their classes before you're eligible for it. Another business is adveritising shop time at $175 a month. I was hoping for something less expensive, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. I wonder what other people do who don't have space for their own shop.
If you're in Chicago proper, the park district has about 20 shops. The hours vary by park, but the one I used at one point was $60 for 10 weeks, 7hours per week, (Tues & Fri, 5:30-9p). So <$1/hr. Hard to complain. If the hours work, it's a no-brainer. I think they will also let non-residents register and use them, but for a premium (150-200% of the resident price).

There are also "maker spaces" that have some woodworking kit. CIADC and Pumping Station One come to mind.

Yes, CATS (Slav and Co) have once a month meetings. They're a little woodworking, and a bunch of hanging out. Though we're adding in more making of things. PM me if you want to be on the mailing list. Recently, we've been meeting in Berwyn, Northbrook, and Uptown in people's shops.

All that said, "Chicago" is a big place. Where are you?

job
Thanks. I live on the South Side, in Hyde Park. I had no idea about the park district shops. That really is news to me. I'm definitely going to follow up on your tip.
These "maker spaces" are quite interesting too. They seem well equipped but there's little information on things like when the workshops are available.
There are a couple of clubs in the southwest 'burbs that are pretty active. I live far north and there's nothing anywhere near me, not even in Southern Wisconsin. CATS, as mentioned above, is more of a social club of woodworkers. Good fo1k, but not really organized.

I'll PM you the name of a guy who, at least at one time, was an officer in one of the clubs in the 'burbs. He's got more interest in the hand tools subgroup he led, but the main part of the club is more general in its theme. It's a good club.

Blaine