21st Century Workbench Build
Hey everyone. It's been a while for me to have some posting time on Woodnet. I thought I'd organize and post up some pics of my 21st Century Workbench build. I contemplated what design to build for the last year. Robert Lang's, Roubo, Schwarz's many designs, The Workbench book etc.. This design really seemed to suit my hybrid woodworking style. I did modify his design with a 15 to 9 inch ratio on the split tops. This was based on Lang's feedback in a woodnet post. I lag bolted the 3 inch section to the 11.75 inch section. That still meets the design intent of running tops through the planer for resurfacing.
21st Century Workbench

I'm using some oak that a coworker sold to me. Because of some bug damage, it's not quite furniture quality but definitely workbench quality. I was able to hide most of the minor damaged areas inside glue joints. $150 for all of it.

It was a mix of 8/4 and 4/4 so I had to modify the plans to suit the lumber. Lots more glue in mine but I'm really happy with the results so far. Here's the pics.

Start of the top laminates. I alternated 4 and 8/4 on the top.
" />

21st Century Outfeed Table that I built last year has been really handy for this build. The legs are the white oak stakes from new trees planted in our neighborhood. Reduce, reuse, recycle, right!?

Some progress on the top.

Child labor law violations.

Another offense

"one" piece of wood now.
Time to flatten.

and flatten

and flatten

lookin good!

another angle, just because.
Now for some big ole M&T action. Not too shabby if I say so myself.

Like a glove.

One side

Top trimmed to length

Sides clamped for fit. Design calls to glue the front half of the legs on after the big dovetail joinery is cut. This makes the build process here much easier and less intimidated. Kudos to Lang for this detail.
stretcher stock milled

Joinery cut and front half of legs being glued on.

Close up.

Tiny dovetails

Tops lagged and flat and ready to go.
That's about it. Hoping to be done over the next month. With vacations I'll have to slow down a bit but I'm re-energized to knock this out. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks for looking
Gabe

Quick video of my shop elves too. Makes this bench all the more special.

[Image: th_20150209_201316.mp4]
Wow! Lots of work there.
Hi Gabe

Wow, has your son has grown up since I last saw him. Has it been that long? I just showed Michelle. What a nice looking kid.

Is that the old Delta? I figured you had gotten rid of it when you got the new saw. Do you still use it?

I like the out feed table and the workbench looks like it will be a winner too. Thanks for the pics. We enjoyed them. Ken
Thanks Ken! It's been a while and yes he is getting big. Maddy too. She is in the video I posted. 8 and 10 now. Time flies.

Yup, that is your old Delta TS in the background. I still use it for dados since I have to buy another $130 worth of SS parts to use the 8 inch stack. I also have my router in the table still. I'll probably build a new router table at some point next year and sell it to free up some space. Maybe to another lucky woodnetter. Glad you liked the pics.
For this bench. I'm ordering one of the Eclipse vises from amazon. They have 7, 9, and 10" wide. I'm leaning for the 10" but that will push the front dog holes from 3.5" on Bob's design to 5". Is there an ideal for dog hole placement?

1.5" seems a trivial detail as I type it. Am I missing something?
Few pics of the weekend's progress. Joints are dry fit and wedged. I can't believe how solid it is with the lower stretchers wedged tight. Even without the lags in the top dovetail.

I took everything apart to final plane the last glue joints, sand and break the corners. Also the front dog holes are easier to drill while taken apart.

I bought that No. 5 from Admiral on woodnet. Really nice refirb and tune. It cuts like a dream.