Plywood and Hardwood Inlay
I am making a large sign for someone who wants it made of maple plywood but have cherry letters inlayed partially into the plywood so they are raised a 1/4" above the face of the plywood. I've done inlay before but not with the combination of hardwood into plywood. My question is will this work with seasonal wood movement from the hardwood letters inlayed into the plywood? This sign will be placed outdoors but in a sheltered area.
"In order to achieve greatness we must risk everything"--Steve Jobs
It should. This is a kitchen stool seat.

Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer, first of all nice work. What kind of wood is that? Is that plywood? How long has it been since you made it?

Thanks
"In order to achieve greatness we must risk everything"--Steve Jobs
Assuming we are only talking about a few inches? The movement shouldn't be enough to matter, like crack the wood or loosen the glue. If a hair width gap opened around the letters, it's no big deal, especially if they are raised.

If they were more than maybe 6" of cross grain? Then you have to think about how much movement could occur.
Walnut and mahogany on the back side of 3/4" Arauco ply from Lowes. I'm guessing 5 years or so. The recipients gave it such hard use letting water spills sit on it, that I gave it an extra coat of poly a couple years ago. It still looks like the photo--no sign of inlay failure or movement. Arauco ply has 5 equal layers. Inlay is the depth of the first layer plus enough to get through the glue to the next layer.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson