Deck railing angles between posts
Can some one please share with me a quick way to measure and cut deck railing 2x4s that run between the vertical 4x4 post. Basically the 4x4 post run to roof of this covered deck and the post have slight twist to them making the angle not a true 90 degrees..some are quite a few degrees off 90 infact. I want the railings to but in tight to the post before attaching them with small head stainless screws and then attaching the balusters. Not sure why this has been so difficult for me but if the railing is cut too short or the angle is not spot on I can tell it's going to make for a weak connection. Any tips here?
The best measurement approach is direct measurement. That means, lay your 2 x 4 on top of the posts and then draw a pencil line where they meet. Adjust your miter saw to cut to the outside of those lines and it should fit perfectly.

John
You can all ways run a string line along the posts at the height you want the railing.
Measure the length between the faces that the string is on for overall length then use a square held to the string and touching against the twisted post to measure the gap/twist/angle and transfer it to your board.
Lay the lumber on the deck. Use a sharp pencil to scribe along side of each post.This way the distance at the top and bottom will be the same.
This works well for stair rails too,the lumber will rest on the risers and the plumb cuts are established.

mike
John's method works.

I use something like this, but mine's not digital.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_466699-56005-828...d=50175571

lay your 2x4 on the deck against the posts. Set the pointed part of the angle finder along the twisted face of the post. Adjust the other side so it is tight against the edge of the 2x4. that's the angle you need to cut the 2x4 to. Of course you have to measure both ends since they might be different.
like crokett I use a bevel square. sure beats heck out of playing with the 2x4. works well especially since your posts run to a roof. put the handle of the bevel square or sliding bevel sq. as lee valley says, to the face of the post. then adjust the sliding part to the angle you are trying to match. If you don't have one they are cheap to buy. the one crokett lists is handy with the angles, but a plain ole stanly for under 10 bucks will work.