Favorite top to base connection cleat?
Over the years I've used a variety of cleat design to attach a wooden top to a wooden base for tables. Some have stood the test, others not. In the 'not' category, I've had some where the cleat broke, others where the apron broke!

I'm now making a table larger than any I've made in the past. The base will be heavy, and I need a substantial attachement system that will take a few generations of people lifting and moving the table by grabbing the top overhang.

What do you suggest?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

http://www.rockler.com/table-top-fasteners
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Just because they are faster. Just oversize forstner bit, and screw, get em all set, flip and center top, screw again

If I remembered to cut that darn dado, the kind Barn showed work as well, but if you forget the groove until you are ready to assemble it just isn't convenient to make it after you have glued up the frame.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I use the kind Barn showed.
I never cut the groove till it's all finished.
I use a bisquits jointer that's always set to the perfect depth.
Actually the only thing I still do with it.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Thank you gents!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

When I have a solid wood top I fasten it to the center of the apron with screws and glue for about 3" of width(2 screws each end) This gives it a solid feel and expansion is not a problem. Use various methods to fasten to the long aprons.
The way this picture shows it the cleats on the long apron will not allow lateral expansion and will stress the top, and maybe break it.
Pic was just online, used it to show how they go on. Possibly the most important words I typed in my explanation were.

"Just oversize forstner bit" that allows all the movement I have seen in SW Ohio where we range from lows of 20% to 100% in really sticky months.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I just knock up a wooden version of that. Wooden blocks with a L shape at the end, that fits into the dado on the apron. If it eventually fails? Well it's easy enough to fix.

If you forget to cut the dado, use a slot cutter. The dado doesn't need to go all the way into the corners.
Steve N said:

Just because they are faster. Just oversize forstner bit, and screw, get em all set, flip and center top, screw again

If I remembered to cut that darn dado, the kind Barn showed work as well, but if you forget the groove until you are ready to assemble it just isn't convenient to make it after you have glued up the frame.

It doesn't look fast and easy to me. I almost screamed before the video ended.

https://youtu.be/SE57ZfN0ANg
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK