Duplication tip of the day
I got a call to repair a ladder support on a very expensive Italian yacht and thought I'd share how I duplicate a part. The boat is almost at the end of the dock of course so I don't want to do a lot of walking back and forth. I removed the offending piece and took it back to my shop. I replicated the profile of the piece with slight changes so hopefully this one doesn't break. Now the piece I removed fit between two metal brackets and had to be the same length, so forget measuring. Here's how I do it. Guards removed for clarity.
First I set the miter gauge fence stop randomly longer than the piece I need to make.

Then take a piece of scrap longer than the gap.

And but it up against the old piece and cut off the extra. You now have two pieces of wood filling that space.

Remove the old piece of wood and slide the cut scrap piece over and insert the new piece and snug up to the fence stop.

Then cut to length.

You now have two identical pieces. No fusing, no sneaking up on it, and no measuring.

Here it is reinstalled at the foot of the ladder, no worries about the fit.

And the ladder tucked away in the flying bridge overhead. Hard to get a good exposure.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Good idea. Any time measuring is taken out of the process is a good thing. The piece is the correct size because it MUST be.
Great job Jim. Thanks for sharing
Paul K. Murphy said:

Good idea. Any time measuring is taken out of the process is a good thing. The piece is the correct size because it MUST be.

What he said. Good tip!
You are welcome. Really comes in hand when you screw up a piece and the saw settings have all been changed. It works with the rip fence also, just need a piece at least as long as the one replicated.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I've never seen that before. It's so simple it's genius. Thanks for passing it along.

John
So slick! Proving once again the brain is still the sharpest tool of all.

Lonnie
Paul K. Murphy said:

I'm finding this true more and more...
Great technique!
Benny

Love it!
One helluva tip!!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone