PSA - Old can of shellac
There was a post about this very issue less than a year ago I think. RichardD contacted Zinsser. Of course, they pleaded complete ignorance that there was a problem with the cans they use. He also sent them a copy of the thread so they would know there is an issue. I've had two cans leak. One was at least 5 years old, but the other was only a few months old. It leaked all over my bench and ruined some drawer stock I was working on. I now store the can inside a plastic bucket for when the next leak happens. Anyone using Zinsser should take some sort of precaution to prevent damage when, not if, you get a leaker.

John
mine leaked out of its can, while it was in a cardboard box, all over the dining room floor.

Was in the process of building my new shop and had stuff stashed all over to keep it out of the weather.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

BTDT, too. Can I join the club?
bhh said:

sure. costs $6 to join.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

bhh said:

Alcohol loves water, which promotes corrosion. Don't put shellac in metal containers. Unless you REALLY want to join the club.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
LIL

One more reason to buy your own shellac flakes and mix as you need it. Nice and fresh, a joy to use. The flakes themselves will last a long, long time if you keep them in the fridge. I have some over 15 years old, mix up just fine. I gave up on Zinszer a long time ago.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Where do you guys typically source your flakes?
Admiral said:

One more reason to buy your own shellac flakes and mix as you need it. Nice and fresh, a joy to use. The flakes themselves will last a long, long time if you keep them in the fridge. I have some over 15 years old, mix up just fine. I gave up on Zinszer a long time ago.

That's what I've almost always done, just mix it up when needed. I was out a couple years ago and needed a small bit so bought this can of Zinsser, which has been sitting ever since while I've gone back to flakes.

Cian, IIRC, I just got them at Woodcraft or Rocker. Countless places on-line, including Amazon.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Happened to me too, more that once!
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Cian said:

Where do you guys typically source your flakes?

Shellac.net

Haven't ordered in a few years, I buy by the pound.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis