Talk to me of sliding miter saws-
I have been planning on moving cross country for the last couple years so my large tool purchases have been delayed(why carry anything extra). Well now that I am here, I am thinking about getting a miter saw.

I have woodworked for years without one. I even had and sold an old Dewalt MBF RAS that I had restored, I am not wanting to go that route again. I want something with a bit of portability. I also want something with really good accuracy and preferably as good as possible dust collection, though I know thats a strech.

I have been looking at the Bosch glide, the Festool, and the dewalt that casts a shadow, but I have been a bit out of touch on who is making the best sliding miter saw for a while. So lay your wisdom and recommendations on me. What do you like, what dont you like, what do you wish you had.

Thanks!
Not answering your question, and if this is for more like shop work and not field work, but just a thought here, why slider? They take up room in the back (except for a model made by Hitachi), and if you don't need the extra depth of cut all the time, consider a 12" fixed compound miter saw. I have a Bosch, and the depth of cut I get handles 99% of what I have ever cut on it. Stays in alignment, less to go wrong. Check the specs on current models and see if a 12" fits your needs, it just might, cheaper too. If you have a table saw with a crosscut panel (or a sharp hand saw) I always thought sliders were more appropriate for construction trades.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
mongo said:

. . . and the dewalt that casts a shadow . . .

Er, that's the first time I've ever heard a tool described that way. Which model is this? Why does it "cast a shadow?" If you see its shadow, does that mean there will be 6 more weeks of winter or something?

Thanks
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
vitabile said:

[blockquote]mongo said:

. . . and the dewalt that casts a shadow . . .

Er, that's the first time I've ever heard a tool described that way. Which model is this? Why does it "cast a shadow?" If you see its shadow, does that mean there will be 6 more weeks of winter or something?

Thanks

[/blockquote]

LOL.... no it uses LED's over the blade to cast a shadow for alignment purposes. No adjustment for different sized blades.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/miter-saw-la...s7085.aspx
Admiral said:

Not answering your question, and if this is for more like shop work and not field work, but just a thought here, why slider? They take up room in the back (except for a model made by Hitachi), and if you don't need the extra depth of cut all the time, consider a 12" fixed compound miter saw. I have a Bosch, and the depth of cut I get handles 99% of what I have ever cut on it. Stays in alignment, less to go wrong. Check the specs on current models and see if a 12" fits your needs, it just might, cheaper too. If you have a table saw with a crosscut panel (or a sharp hand saw) I always thought sliders were more appropriate for construction trades.

I was thinking of a slider for the extra capacity... will be used both in the shop and around the house outside of the shop. Hitcahi, Bosch and Festool all make a saw that doesnt have rails out the back. I would prefer one that doesnt but I wanted to make sure I wanted to keep a more open field for now.

I will have to look a little at the capacity of the non sliding saws... I do have a nice crosscut sled and a sharp handsaw.
How heavy are the big sliders? I have a 12" fixed CMS and while I can readily carry it around, I'm not sure anything much heavier should truly be considered "portable".
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Oh! That's neat! Nice concept.

If I ever replace my 10" Craftsman CMS, I might look at that one.
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
Are you more likely to be cutting 4x6s or 2x10/12s? A 12" slider will be able to handle both types of boards, but is much heavier than other saws so less portable. A 12" chop saw can cut 4xs, and a 10" slider can cut wide 2xs. You have to flip the respective boards when trying to cut one beyond that style's capacity. Weight for both is more manageable than carrying around a 12" slider. Also, as noted above, a chop saw has fewer moving parts so easier to keep everything in alignment. That said, I chose a 10" slider years ago because it's a bit more versatile. I make a point of keeping it tuned up and have always loved it. It is particularly useful when cutting 6" compound miters for trim work, etc.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
The led light is AWESOME on the Dewalts. Best SCMS invention I have seen. Never needs adjustment and always casts a line exactly where you will cut. You can even see teh teeth on the line if the saw is not running. When you start the saw the line literally gets a tad wider due to those teeth making the full kerf.

Dewalt has another "feature". You can increase the width of cut by adding a sub table and changing the fence layout. I have a 717 with this feature. I have used that once before owning a RAS.

Also a sweet mobile stand is the Bosch T4B stand and the Delta copy of that stand. Turn one handle and it goes from fully set up a dolly ready to roll position.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

As part of your comparison, make sure to include clamping/hold-down capacity. I love my PC 12" CMS but there is no provision for clamping stuff down.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard