small portable lathe?
Is there some kind of small lathe system that I could store and then take out and put on my bench top when I wanted to use it?
How small is small? There a three laths for sale in the shop-n-trade. You may want to ask the same question in the woodturning section. What do you intend on turning (diameter and length)? Where would you store it between sessions? The cast iron beds are fairly hefty.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
I guess I want to be able to turn a chair leg. Right now I want to turn something that's 16 inches long. But I really don't know much about lathes other than the big one my dad used to have.
overland said:

Right now I want to turn something that's 16 inches long.

There aren't too may mini/midi lathes that can turn a 16" spindle without a bed extension.

However, this one can...

http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-46300-Variabl...B00C2ASVNY

Should you need to go longer, you can always add the bed extension later too.

How small can you live with? Most mini-lathes, if mounted on a benchtop, fit the bill. In fact, even with the cast iron legs, I can pick up my Jet 1014VSI mini-lathe all by myself. Most reputable lathe manufacturers offer mini-lathes. You will be getting a 1/2 HP motor, and limited length, so you'll need to consider what the largest size item is you will want to turn. If it's spindle work like legs, a mini-lathe will need a bed extension. Jet, Rikon, PSI are all mini-lathes that might be considered. The PSI lathe is targeted for turning pens, so the former two are probably more versatile.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The Delta 46-460 lathe has been pretty popular and it too can handle 16-1/2" between centers and 42" with the bed extension.

Did you have a budget in mind?
I should caution you that these lathes above aren't that easy to lift and throw on a benchtop per se. The Nova is about 85 lbs and the Delta about 95 lbs.
I wouldn't buy the Delta. How long will they have parts?
I have a small Wilton I picked up used years ago. I think it can handle a little over 12 between centers.

Its not amazing by any means but it works and people like what I manage to do with it (which is mostly pens). Its light enough that I can move it round fairly easily.
I was hoping to pick up something for $200 or less, either used or vintage, and am grateful for any suggestions--or warnings against a particular brand.
How about the Central Machinery lathes sold at Harbor Freight? They have one that's 10x18 for about $160 with the 20 percent discount. In fact, there's someone locally who is selling one used.