How I moved my shop-
skizzo said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

The far end will be rural, so locating the container is trivial.

Assuming the shipper can get back to your place. I've seen some of your site ideas.

[/blockquote]

Gee, thanks for the support. Since you will preceed me back there, you are helping unpack...
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
For any folks with smaller diy tool moves - I have used utility drop deck/BilJax style trailers a few times. The deck of the trailer hydraulically raises and drops to the ground and is about 1-1.5" thick. Sunbelt rentals rents them. Amazing for heavy tools that a ramp will not work well for.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Those are the bees' knees for a heavy machine or two. They come in different sizes and load capacities, single or dual axle. I've used them a couple times, can't be beat for roll-on/roll-off. Not every Sunbelt rental stocks them, but many do.

Funny your link is to TrailersForCheap, because those things are far from it.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Grabbed a pic from google images. Man some day I'd love to find a deal on a used one and own it! Nice big dual axle hd capable one I can still use without a 5th wheel setup in the truck.

They get me for about $80 rental fee each time (one day) and Sunbelt here rents to me after work on Friday and I return it 1st thing Monday for a 1 day rental. Hard to even buy one used when they are they are priced like that. Plus the last time they had brand new ones so the equipment is generally kept pretty nice.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

For any folks with smaller diy tool moves - I have used utility drop deck/BilJax style trailers a few times. The deck of the trailer hydraulically raises and drops to the ground and is about 1-1.5" thick. Sunbelt rentals rents them. Amazing for heavy tools that a ramp will not work well for.

That is cool! I had no idea that type of trailer existed.

Jeremy s said:

That is cool! I had no idea that type of trailer existed.

What he said. Would make picking up a cabinet saw or other second hand machine a breeze.
I am moving next month and dreading the prospect. I thought about selling everything and buying it back at the other end, but could face the idea of liquidating the shop I spent so much time building up. I called Gentle Giant instead and they said no problem. In addition to the shop I have 5 tall case clocks and one very heavy statue. Needless to say and expensive move. (and its all going into storage, until we find a new house)
Thanks for posting this. Very helpful! I think the prospect of moving one's shop is tops on the list of dreads, second to theft/fire/flood.
I moved my shop exactly the same way. I think I came it at just under 8000lbs. We only moved a few miles so I did put a lot of the tools I knew I would need in a storage are and all my wood was stored off site but PODS makes it easy. I just built a ramp and rolled everything in.
I moved my shop and a 1000 bd ft of lumber twice in he last 4 years, the first time something over 400 miles and the second, maybe 10 miles. I looked at pods and found them about twice as expensive as 26 ft rental trucks including using professional movers to load and unload the trucks. Moving is a pain, no doubt about it but the most pain is the getting everything boxed up--not the big stuff, but the boxes and boxes of small stuff--and the unboxing and organizing at the new destination. Professional movers are cheap when used to just load the stuff and they know how to get in on the truck and fastened down so it gets to its destination in good shape. I guess if money is no concern pods are fine but I just wanted to share with you another option that is cheaper and doesn't require any more work or aggravation. Ken