Lathe Tailstock Hand-Wheel Replacement (Help me)
barryvabeach said:

+1 with Arlin's suggestion of Grizzly. If you post a photo of the stub on the end of the lathe, that would make it easier to suggest a replacement. I think you say the current wheel uses a roll pin, but you could probably make the new one work fine with either one or three set screws in the hub - it is pretty easy to thread cast iron.

The hand-wheel does not have threads at the hub. The roll-pin is on the round bar that the hand-wheel slides onto. The hand-wheel slides onto the bar and over the roll-pin then the nut is tightened on the threads at the end of the round bar.

PDF of Lathe Schematic from Vintage Machinery The roll-pin is 30 and the hand-wheel is 40. The schematic is the second to last page.
WoodTinker
Timberwolf said:

[blockquote]Quote:

It's the slit in back that would be the biggest challenge.

You may be able to cut that slit by hand using a carbide burr chucked in a Dremel...I would go with the Cast Iron.

[/blockquote]

Thanks amongous Timberwolf!!

Found I already have a burr bit for the Dremel.

Drilled a small cutoff with a 1 3/4" forstner bit down 3/4" for the end of the handwheel.

Clamped the block on the drillpress with the upright handwheel and drilled the 1/2" center bore.

Used a larger hand grinder to shorten the metal nub at the hand-wheel backend so the nut could get full bite on the bolt.

Used the small grinder wheel on the dremel to get the slots started then switched over to the carbide burr and went to town. Was too anxious and made the first set of slots too deep in the hole. The second set was perfect. Goodthing, the burr bit was nearing the end of its life.

Works good now, but now I'm needing to take the lathe tailstock apart and add some lubrication in there.
WoodTinker
Rollpin? How about key stock,makes more sense to me.In any case can you dispense with the "rollpin" and drill and tap for a setscrew.A screw that is slightly smaller in diameter than the slot would be ideal.That will keep the new hand wheel on tight without any slop .
mike
(07-24-2015, 08:31 AM)WoodTinker Wrote:
Stytooner said:

I have a blank cast iron one here that I have had for a few years.
It is about 4 3/4" diameter. It is not bored out though. Just raw cast iron. Send me a PM if interested. I bought it for a project and wound up not needing it.

Thank you for the generous offer. It is very kind of you. Respectfully, I think a 6" wheel would be easier to turn.

I ended up here because my plastic wheel shattered in my hand - of course I wanted an alum, brass or steel replacement - but I needed it sooner rather than later. Went to one of the last remaining Ace stores within  a 50 mile radius, and we all put our heads together. I ended up using a cast aluminum flywheel with a 1/2" ID, " wheel, then I placed a 1' length of fuel line around the wheel, with a smaller plastic hose that fit tightly inside the fuel line to bring it tight - and for the hell of it, painted the whole thing brass color, and placed a satin finish coat on it - the things we do to make something look nicer than it is
Smile
(11-16-2017, 08:55 AM)SkipM Wrote: I ended up here because my plastic wheel shattered in my hand - of course I wanted an alum, brass or steel replacement - but I needed it sooner rather than later. Went to one of the last remaining Ace stores within  a 50 mile radius, and we all put our heads together. I ended up using a cast aluminum flywheel with a 1/2" ID, " wheel, then I placed a 1' length of fuel line around the wheel, with a smaller plastic hose that fit tightly inside the fuel line to bring it tight - and for the hell of it, painted the whole thing brass color, and placed a satin finish coat on it - the things we do to make something look nicer than it is
Smile

Ingenuity is always welcome. Aesthetics are a personal taste but we applaud people getting the look and feel that they want.

Welcome to Woodnet.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-24-2015, 08:31 AM)WoodTinker Wrote:
Stytooner said:

I have a blank cast iron one here that I have had for a few years.
It is about 4 3/4" diameter. It is not bored out though. Just raw cast iron. Send me a PM if interested. I bought it for a project and wound up not needing it.

Thank you for the generous offer. It is very kind of you. Respectfully, I think a 6" wheel would be easier to turn.

I have purchased a few Grizzly wheels, and have been quite pleased, very heavy duty.   Without a picture I can't be sure, but don't think it would be that hard to modify to fit your needs.