Router Table
I have a left over slab of butcherblock from IKEA. It is about 40" by 26" I was considering using it for router table. I was thinking of taking some 1/8" by 3/4" steel bar and setting it into the bottom of the table (glued into a saw kerf cut) to add stability rigidity.

Thoughts good or bad idea???

Tommy
The top is going to expand and contract as the RH in your shop changes with the seasons. The steel won't. Not a good combination. If you think you need to reinforce the top it would be better to add some cleats dovetailed into the bottom. Pin them in place only in the center.

IMHO plywood, MDF, or Melamine make a more stable top.

John
Just slot the steel and no gluing.

I am a fan of two sheets of mdf glued and screwed, hardwood edging added, and the entire thing laminated.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

jteneyck said:

plywood, MDF, or Melamine make a more stable top.

Amen, and doubled up, plenty sturdy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
+1 on the slotted and steel - no screwed down . Since this is left over I see no harm in trying to use it. There may be issues with staying flat but - it's not costing you anything to try. Although I would probably use the top for a small work cabinet. 1 1/2" MDF would make a more stable top as mentioned.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
tHANKS FOR THE COMMENTS. mAY JUST DO THE WORK CABINET IDEA.

tOMMY