An Outdoor Project - New Deck - She's All Oiled Up
Good weather forecast for the next several days, so today I put Ipe' Oil on the deck, stairs, and fascia. The change in color when you put it on is amazing.

I followed the directions and used a 3/8" nap roller to apply it. I used a brush to cut in against the house and for other details. I did 4 boards at a time, end to end, and wiped it off within 5 minutes, as directed. It took me a couple of sections to realize why the directions say to use a 3/8" nap roller. If you load it up and put it on generously the oil will flow down into the gap between each board and coat the sides of the boards. If you put it on sparingly you end up having to go back with a brush which isn't much fun. Once I had that figured out it went quickly, about 90 minutes to do the whole deck. I think the color goes great with the brick of our house.

If you look closely you'll see one of my supervisors.

I've started on the planter boxes and seats, so stay tuned because it ain't done yet. I'm thinking about incorporating some down lighting on the front of the planter boxes to illuminate the deck. Does anyone have any experience with deck lights, recommended sources, types, etc.? Thanks.

John
Boy! That looks sharp!
~ Chris
Very
Now you are set for another 50 to 80 years with the IpĂȘ.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
S T U N N I N G

Man, that looks sooo nice with the oil on it!

You've done outstanding work on this project.
~Dan.
Woooo! I was waitin' for it!

I don't care how much work it is...how can anyone ever let it go gray?
did you use the clear or the tinted?
I used the clear on the massaranduba and it looked just like that ...for a while, fades pretty quickly until you build up coats over a few seasons apparently.
I ended up getting a can of the tinted and was very happy.
no permiti el bicho morderte
That's beautiful. I think I can hear it asking for a retractable awning. Ken
I used the tinted Ipe' Oil. If it still looks good next Spring I'll be pleased. Advantage Lumber cautions to apply it only once a year.

Definitely a retractable awning next year. It's just too hot to be out there this time of year in direct sunshine. And then there are the birds, which have a tendency to see dinner plates as targets.

John
WOW that is simply gorgeous...very nice job...very nice looking wood....