Shellac Seal Coat
Zinser's Seal Coat is just de-waxed shellac. Right? Why not use it as a finish coat as well? Is there something different that makes it unsuitable for that?
1st ? Yep
2? Nope
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Thanks. I note that someone selling it advertizes it as "matt". Should I assume that it provides a matt rather than a glossy finish? Yep?
You can use it a a finish but compared to shellac it' not real versatile as to color selection nor reliable. The problem is that Zinser has no control over the mixed product after it leaves the factory. So if it its in a hot warehouse for a few months it will not perform well. Flake, until mixed, is not affected by heat nearly a much. You can get a very high gloss with shellac using the French Polish technique ; but it take some practice.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Trusty Rusty said:

1st ? Yep
2? Nope
Rusty

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Seal coat works just fine as a finish. Pay attention to the code on the lid

Glen Huey explains how to decode it here

https://woodworkersedge.wordpress.com/20...r-shellac/

I have used both flakes and Zinser's products and have really never noticed a big difference. I actually like their amber shellac for walnut and pine.
SealCoat works fine for me as a topcoat when I want to use shellac. I can't ever remember having a can go bad before I finished it. (I have had leakers, however.) It easily lasts 2+ years. If I want some color I add Transtint dye to it. I see no point in fooling around with dry flakes when I can use one premixed product and adjust the color as I choose.

John
I use sealcoat as a finish, but only in situations where it is not subject to hard use.

I use it as a sealer before waterbased paint on cut edges of MDF.

I use it as a first coat on re-finishing projects because I know I will get good adhesion.

I don't mix shellac myself. For durable clear finishes I use poly.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.