Need steamer / carpet cleaner recommendations
I need to buy a steam carpet cleaner. Preferably an upright, self contained unit. I need one that generates it's own heat so I don't have to fill it with hot water.
Anyone own one that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance.
Easiest solution is to rip out the carpet and install hardwood floors. Problem permanently solved.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You will never achieve really clean carpet with a steam/hot water extraction carpet cleaning machine. Try using Host dry carpet cleaning products for the ultimate clean.

Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Herb, I've not seen one that heats it's own water...at least not a homeowner/120V version. I think a few may have heaters to hold the heat of the hot water added to it but it takes some juice to get that water hot, so the built in heater will be a stretch (at least in my mind). Most of the ones sold to homeowners (IMHO) are just not that well made. Some of them (like Rug Doctor) used to be a little better made, but even they seemed to have done some cost engineering to lower to compete with the cheaper models. I found one of the original Rug Doctors (the old one with a hose and powerhead for cleaning) for sale at a pawn shop maybe 10 years ago and bought it....but it still doesn't do what you want. I wish you luck with your search.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
When I moved into my house it had white carpeting. (Whose great idea was white carpet? You see it in all the magazines.)

I rented a carpet steamer, then I bought one but the only thing that really did a good job was the Kolblenz: http://www.amazon.com/Koblenz-P-2600-Com...B000Z402VS

You can shampoo carpet, scrub ceramic floors, or wax wood floors with this machine. It is light and easy to use.

When I refinished the floor in the guest room I used the Scotchbrite pads to buff between coats.

It was the only machine to get the carpet really clean. But each time you clean your carpet you leave a little of the soap residue which attracts dirt even faster, so the more often you clean the carpet the more often you have to clean your carpet.

I pulled the carpet up and discovered some really nice white oak flooring. They used foam underlayment and that was stapled in place and it took a god-awful amount of time to remove all the staples. If you ever decide to carpet over hardwood, have they use felt which does not require stapling.

I still use the machine to scrub once a year the ceramic floor and the flagstone foyer.

Note: I bought this machine from Sears and it carried its own brand name. I don't know if Sears carries this anymore, but they don't have the supplies anymore and I order them on-line.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My wife has wasted more money on "home" steam cleaners. They are awkward to set up, messy to store and do a poor job.

I'd have to agree---get rid of the carpet is the best solution. Otherwise, while not perfect, renting a Rug Doctor has always gotten a certain amount of dirt out of the carpets---just going by how dirty the sucked up water is and it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Dave
If I had wanted to install flooring, I'd have asked for help in that area. But, I didn't. I asked for help choosing a carpet steamer.

That faux pas aside, I have old dogs. Old dogs get sick. They puke. We have old carpet. I don't care about new flooring, I care about cleaning up old dog puke.

My dogs are about to die because of old age & I couldn't care less about new wood flooring.
I asked for help deciding on a carpet cleaner.
I didn't receive any help that I could discern.

But thanks all the same.
I guess no good deed goes unpunished Herb. Sorry if we didn't provide the exact answers you wanted. Speaking for myself (with 3 dogs) I was never so happy as when I ripped out the downstairs carpet----and prior to that, like you, I was also looking for the best cleaning method-----which I shared with you.

However, when our previous dog got old, she'd go to the door leading outside, but then pee on the carpet. It was a constant battle--as no matter how much it was cleaned, the dog kept returning to the spot. Certainly different than dogs puking, but still causes stains.

We now have hardwood floors in the living room/hall and vinyl composite tiles in the kitchen/dining area. The only rugs the dogs pee on are little throw rugs which are easily tossed in the washer.

Hope your dogs can enjoy the remainder of their lives in reasonable comfort.
Dave
Same here Dave, I have a dog and a cat, got rid of the carpets, put down flooring, life is good. If you don't like the flooring option, get a pressure washer.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Dave, I appreciate your help & kind thoughts. The main reason we still have carpeting is that our 125 lb. Chessie tore his ACL 7 years ago & it cost us $4500 to have it fixed.

Our 10 year old Lab also has leg trouble & slips all the time on bare floors. So, we put up with dirty carpet. Both dogs have sensitive guts & they tend to puke a lot.
But, once again, we love them, so we put up with it.

Not the greatest situation by any means, but we have grown rather fond of these animals & try to keep them comfortable in their old age.

Sorry if I came across as an old coot.