Bathroom floor tile design question
I'm in the middle of remodeling my bathroom. I plan to install a tile floor. I don't want to get too fancy, but I want to have either a border or a "rug" in the tile so it's not just a plain floor.

In some pictures I saw, most borders run the edge of the room, even though they are hidden under fixtures like toilets, vanities, etc. I think that would look OK, but it wouldn't be visible where the vanity will be.

Or I could do a "rug," just a rectangular thing in the middle, but I don't know how this would look, since it won't run the entire length of the tub.

Thoughts on what looks better? Thanks!

(The long narrow rectangle on the left represents the baseboard heat.)
Turning impaired.
The right one looks better to me. The border going under the vanity just doesn't work for me. You might consider a hybrid of the two designs. Take the one on the left, go along the tub and behind the toilet, then come out and finish in front of the vanity like the one on the right. Sorry, I never do things the easy way.

John
If you are wanting a border, make it go around cabinets. If not it will look wrong imo. Here is a small bathroom in my house that i designed and did myself.

I think the border design will look better only if you go around the cabinet.

I don't spend too much time looking at floors and considering if other patterns would look better.

I like the one on the right, but I think either will be good.

Maybe you could put in a slightly larger tub.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
I just assume, when the floor tile border goes under the vanity, it means the "tile guy" got there before the "cabinet guy".

Still - the "tile guy" should have known that there was going to be a vanity and tile floor accents do NOT go under built in vanities.

At least in the jobs I do. Of course, I am usually the "cabinet guy" too.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Another vote for the right side--no accent under the cabinet
You ever consider an approach like this? I know this is not the best looking tiling job but it illustrates a built in bath mat. In fact I think this one is pretty ugly but I couldn't find another pic doing what I was looking for.

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Neither. I'm putting down a real rug, so I'd never see the tile rug in a bath that small.

Now I did two tile rugs in the great room. One to delineate the entry way and another in the kitchen area. We have small rugs over each, but they still provide visual interest.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Jeremy s said:

If you are wanting a border, make it go around cabinets. If not it will look wrong imo. Here is a small bathroom in my house that i designed and did myself.

I think the border design will look better only if you go around the cabinet.

While I think that looks great, you can never alter the cabinet size without re-tiling or it will look odd.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm considering the "hybrid" approach of doing the border along the tub and behind / under the toilet, but in front of the vanity.

I like the "rug" look too though. Ditching the border / left side.

It will probably be forever, but when it's done I'll post pics.
Turning impaired.