Don't forget to tighten the arbor nut!
For the first time in my woodworking life of over 30 years I guess I forgot to tighten the arbor nut properly on the tablesaw. Put on the dado stack and know I tightened it... but suspect now that one of the cutters wasn't on the arbor properly (flat in the stack). Turned the saw on and nothing seemed amiss, but started the cut, saw made a helluva racket and popped the breaker. Interesting to note that the shutdown of the blade was different... it was free spinning and took a looong time. Perhaps because the magnetic switch lost power? I dunno. Started the hell outta me though. It's not a good feeling when you take the insert out and see that nut loose.
It took a loooong time to run down because the blades were free wheeling. They were turning long after your arbor stopped. DAMHIKT

RALPH
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
That makes sense.
I had the same thing happen on both my dado stack and regular blade in the past year. Like you, I'm sure I tightened the nut. I, too, thought it must have been a piece of sawdust under the washer or in the stack that caused it, but after the second or third occurrence I'm not so sure what it is. But I've taken to tightening the nut extra hard now and it hasn't happened again since I started doing that. Don't want it to either 'cause it scared the heck out of me.

John
Had it happen a few times with just a single blade. Operator error. I just didn't tighten the nut enough. Yeah, waiting for the blade to stop free spinning is scary as all get out.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Were you using any shims in that dado? I have to be very careful when doing that because the thing shims have a tendency to fall in the thread and the outer blade then tightens against that shim. During use time the shim finds its way out of the thread and the whole thing is loosens. Not to mention the added benefit of ending up with some weird dado widths.
I was using shims, but the Forrest shims are magnetic and virtually person proof. I may have rotated one the the chippers such that the teeth hit another one.
No shims in my dado stack nor with my regular blade when the arbor nut loosened.

John
I did that with a miter saw once. Not a good feeling when your about to cut something a weird noises come from the saw.
Not saying this is what happened to each of you, but I'm sure the brake is why the arbor nut comes loose on a 10" chop saw I use. On every woodworking (and most metal, and concrete cutting) tool I own; the nut or bolt that holds the cutter on comes off in the same direction the cutter turns. If it didn't, it would tend to loosen as the blade cuts. On this particular chop saw the brake is so rapid and aggressive the inertia will rotate the saw right back down if I don't consciously hold it up. Without a shaft lock, I cannot tighten the blade enough by just pressing it against a block of wood. I have to use vise grips or hold the expansion slot somehow or the blade will "unscrew" the arbor nut when the brake engages. The arbor nuts on my 15" Hitachi's also need a strong arm, or they'll loosen too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"