An Outdoor Project - New Deck - Planter Boxes and Seats
I started making the planter boxes and seats for the deck. The planter boxes have two PT frames that define the shape and the face boards are screwed to them and then trimmed out. I face jointed and planed the PT flat then made the frames with half lap joints, glued with Gorilla Glue and held with SS screws. I made a couple of temporary plywood right angles to space the frames the right distance apart and keep everything square.

Some of the corners were simple butt joints, some were mitered and butted together, and some were mitered and glued.

When the face boards were on I brought them up onto the deck and added the mitered trim at the bottom and under the top, and then mitered the top boards. I attached the trim with screws from the inside, but the top was face screwed to the frame below. I also used splines in the corners to help hold them in alignment.

After I had two of the planter boxes built I made the seat that spans between them. It's just a simple ladder frame of PT 2 x 6's that I ripped down to 5" and screwed together. It's attached to the planter boxes with carriage bolts.

Then I added the fascia and seat boards using clips between the seat boards. It's about 102" long and very solid. The seats are 4 boards wide, or 22". and 18" off the deck.

Two planter boxes down and two more to go, along with two more seat sections. You an see that I got the furniture back up on the deck and also got the NG grill temporarily installed with a length of copper tubing going over the side so that I can use it. I'm not sure of it's exact final location yet but I still wanted to be able to use it.

John
Nice job on the planters and bench (and the deck, too!).
Michelle says "very cool". Ditto for me. Ken
Those look great, John. Your whole new deck is very nice!
I really like how your deck is underpinned. It looks good and keeps animals from under there. Kudos on the planters and bench also.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/