Making my delta unisaw smaller
I have a usa made unisaw and 52 in unfence. I want to make this saw much smaller with a delta base that will allow it to be moved very easliy. I have toyed with the idea of cutting down to 41in but I will still have that large htc mobil base. Another strategy is to sell the unfence and base and put a vege 28in or 40in that do not require outboard legs. Another option is to sell the entire saw. It is a good saw. I have used a sawstop at the college of the redwoods and it was just great. They primarily cut with bandsaws which is much safer. Your opinions are valuable to me. thx
I have a griz T.S. with about 27" to the right of the blade which includes a router table wing. I very seldom find it limiting but then I seldom cut panels wider than 24". My saw is on a home made mobile base. I'm not sure how I'd shorten the fence. It seems a shame to cut the 52" fence rails and looking at pictures it doesn't look like you could easily purchase a metal shape to make shorter rails. Sell your existing fence and buy a shorter one? Maybe something like this?

New T.S. Fence

That seems to have some of the features of the unifence.
I cut my Unifence rail down so max cut is 36 inches. No modifications needed to the Delta mobile base as the legs stayed where they were. I also cut a couple of inches off the left end so there's no stick out. Glad I did - fits my shop now.
If you are serious about cutting down your fence retail, maybe someone with a shorter one would be interested in a trade.
TO the OP, I did the same thing. I cut my rails down (I now have capacity to rip to 30"---my track saw handles anything larger) and I cut the Delta mobile base down, sectioning out just enough to match the new ripping capacity and had the pieces welded back together. If I had more room I would have left it stock, but sometimes you gotta do what you must.......