Slow Drying Glue OK?
Last night at 6 PM, I finished gluing up a plywood box for the van. Elmer's Waterproof--bottle only a few months old stored in the house.

One side of the box has a kerf bend, so there's bit of stress on that joint. Otherwise, there should be no stress--this is a completely forever stationary battery box.

I left the box outside in clamps overnight in part because it was so heavy and bulky with all those clamps. This morning at 8 am, the squeeze out has the consistency of bubble gum--about what I would expect after an hour or so under normal conditions. However, these were not normal conditions. Temperature 80-90+°, humidity 75-85%.

I carefully removed the clamps and brought it inside. What is the risk of failure?

(This is a wake-up call that I won't be doing any painting out there.)
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
If the normal clamp time is an hour and that's what it looks like now I'd say you are OK. But it might be best to put the clamps back on it because you said there is stress on the joint, then let it cure indoors where I assume you have AC for 24 hours before putting it in service and all should be well.

John
Thanks. I have put an internal glue block on that stressed joint. It is curing normally.

At least today I don't have to work out there.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

I wouldn't worry about it. Have had fresh glue do that when the weather is just right. It dries a hard shell and the inside takes a long time to dry.

When the temp is around 90 your humidity won't be too high only around 45-50% and I have had similar issues at those temps. About the only places you will see relative humidity that high at 90 is in a mine putting the heat index around 120.

I fired up the ac in the shop so I can go make kitchen cabinet doors. 100*+ everyday with a low of 80* but only below 90* for about 4 hrs a night. Can't wait to move east...
East won't get you cool temps. Come on up to the northeast. Wed. we're supposed to get to 91F - the first time getting to 90 F since 2013. It's never been 100 F in Buffalo since they started recording temps. To me, 90 F is hot. I can't imagine living where it regularly gets to 100 F. I know, others can't imagine living where it snows. No droughts, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no forest fires, and four real seasons. Come on up. Glue dries fine here.

John
Our heat index is 110°. I couldn't use the TS because it doesn't like sweat dripped on it.
Carolyn