Sliding dovetails for the Lingerie Chest.
Below is the work completed over the past weekend. The Lingerie Chest is progressing steadily.

The strategy for the sliding dovetails into curved sides looks to be successful. The strategy was necessitated by the design, which required the housings to be made from inside the front legs, rather than from outside, as is usual.

There is also a novel method for creating the sliding dovetails using an easy-to-make dovetail plane (everyone will make one!).

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/S...ls-LC.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Nice! Thanks for including us in the build.

Below: The rear of the carcase, with the housing stretching across the rear legs and fillet. The fit is tight and there are no gaps to be seen.

Is the "fillet" the piece filling out the void forward of the leg and also supports the blade or divider? Fillet is either meat or filling at a corner in my dictionary, so we are flailing up here.

But then ... Once these are completed, the fillets and the drawer blades will be ripped and attached front and rear. The front legs are still to have the housings cut, and the drawer blades still require the bow to be added to their fronts for the bowed drawers. ...

Are fillets the rear counterpart of the blade?

Whatever the species, a slick way to accomplish squared fits of the carcase!
Hi Bruce

A juicy slice of meat may be a fillet or filet, such as in steak. However "fillet" is also an engineering term used to refer to a reinforcement designed to take stress.

Go to my previous chapter for a clearer picture of the part played by the fillet in this construction: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/M...rward.html

In brief, the fillet is a strip of wood that will be attached to each end of the side panel to (1) beef up the construction, and (2) make it possible to accurately create the housings for sliding dovetails in a curved panel.

All this extra work is due to the design brief that the housings will be behind the leg rather than formed from in front of it. You do need to read the previous chapter (link above) to get this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Got it! And seeing the earlier chapter would help. Thanks, Derek.

That fillet, and terminology generally, point out the complications in communication. I might be tempted to call it a "doubler". Or, a "furring" strip, which is less clear. I am sure there is a term from the wayback machine, or some obscure manual that solve the conundrum. I prefer to see a fillet as "more glue" gobbed onto the intersection of two pieces; or, a characteristic of modern metal welds.

It is a busy piece of wood, however, with a thin glue-joint face.... I still am amazed by the shear strength of Jarrah. No pre-bent panels?