Installing a Shelix Head on a Delta 22-580 Planer - PIC HEAVY
Great post! This makes installing one on my DW735 seem like a piece of cake. OR.... maybe I just blocked the bad stuff from my memory? It was a long time ago.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
I don't have a that (or any) power planer, but I think this doing pictorials like this is the perfect activity for everyone recovering from surgery. Hope the new knee is coming along.

Steve
Thanks! I can't imagine doing this without the tutorial.
This is the type of posting that makes mr love Woodnet. The time and effort it must have taken to produce this post is truly admiral. Kudos to you.
Smile! You have been INDEXED!
Wow - thank you! Have been wondering about this operation - and I think you convinced me not to do it! Really nice post.
I just finished my Shelix upgrade today.   I didn't see this post until today.
SADLY  There are No Images.... In the previous post, and I didn't take any either, I wasn't intending on posting.
I just found this After posting this reply.

A few years ago, I posted a thread detailing my installation of a Byrd Shelix Head on my Delta 22-580 lunchbox planer. A couple of times a year, someone stumbles on the post but the pics are killed because it was back when Photobucket allowed 3rd party image hosting for free. Fortunately, Cian Perez archived the thread, preserving the pics. Here is the link to Cian's archive (thanks Cian!) for anyone interested. If, by some unfortunate circumstance, Cian's website gets hacked, I have also archived the procedure in a pdf file.

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/W...a22580.htm <-- The photos and comments are Here

Tips:
But what I found.  
 The New cutter head, BE CAREFUL  The carbides are Brittle
All of the screws nuts etc are Metric, including the allen heads.
   The screws are in Very Very snug.  I striped two.
   Had to drill them out (removed the head)  Metric Size 4 and 6
   I found using a "Vessel Impacta" screwdriver removed the X head screws, the striped were Allen Heads

You have to tip planer on it's side, remove the Black Chain cover.  You need to remove the chain.
   MARK the sprocket. Return it's position when reassembling, having one side turn can mess up/tilt the cutter head.
   Remove 4 allen screws holding the head locking posts. Remove the posts

Now remove the old cutter head.
The Nut holding the stock pulley is reverse threaded.  Clockwise to remove
Use a Puller to remove the pulley and remove the bearing and it's holder.
    Use the above Screwdriver to remove the two screws holding bearing cup/retainer.
The Drive gear on the other end of the cutter, is std threaded  CCW to remove.
    Pull the bearing off.    Then Heat the Gear if not easy to remove. 
     I used leather around the gear (to protect it) and Vise Grips to remove (Tap with hammer)

NEW Cutter head:

Install gear, using Blue thread locker goop
Configure the bearing cup/retainer with new supplied bearing.
I put the new cutter into My freezer for a couple hours.
   It shrunk the cutter enough that installing the Bearing and retainer was fairly easy slight tapping was used
Slide the cutter into the planer.
Install Pulley. The supplied NUT is std thread  CW to tighten.

Good luck.  It is worth the effort.   If I did not have the issues with the screws I could have done this in a Long Day.

I use hard woods, the cut is smooth, very little tearout on figured maple.  I looking forward to not having to change blades.
Your link to those pictures are not found.
(08-30-2021, 06:32 AM)med-one Wrote: Your link to those pictures are not found.

I posted the pics when Photobucket used to allow posts from any account.  Now you need a paying account to post and share pics.

Use the archived link "INDEXED" cited by Cian Perez in this thread.  It's valid and includes all the pics. (Not the same link Hot Lead posted.)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill, Thanks for this, and thanks to Cian Perez for the indexed link as well. My Shelix is shipping today and I did not realize just what a process I am about to get myself into!! It will be worth it as I've also ordered a new helical head jointer. Hopefully between them it will be less necessary to choose sides of maple based more on lack of tear out than on beauty.