Ejecting live center from 3520 tailstock
I just picked up a used 3520 and the live center is STUCK in the tailstock. I thought that it would automatically eject the center when the quill is retracted but it doesn't. Tried the slide hammer but it just pushes the center off of the bearing leaving a hole thru the center of the center (if that makes any sense).

Anyone have a magic potion for removing the center?

Thanks, g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Just to confirm for you, by design it will eject the center when the quill is retracted fully. Mine sometimes is a little reluctant to come out but if I turn the quill handwheel hard enough it has always ejected for me. I'm not sure what the answer is for one that might be corroded in place- perhaps a slide hammer grabbing onto the non-rotating part of the live center?

Harbor freight carries stuff like this:

Also could try Autozone or the like if you have one near you, they lend specialty tools for free. I'd probably put a hose clamp around the fingers to tighten it down on the livecenter.
Sometimes you have to angle the rod to the side, when that does on work I use a large slotted screw driver to pry it from where it goes in.

Also you will have to lube up the ejector to make it easier and one other thing is some live centers do not go far enough into it so it has to be knocked out then too.

Also I am really looking forward to seeing what you make from it too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If that tailstock is drilled through, use a solid brass rod and a hammer to drive it out from the backside.
hairy said:

If that tailstock is drilled through, use a solid brass rod and a hammer to drive it out from the backside.

That works. If you don't care to do it, put a couple pieces of wood between the rear of the bearing and the nose of the quill and crank the quill back. It'll wedge out.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
shoottmx said:

I just picked up a used 3520 and the live center is STUCK in the tailstock. I thought that it would automatically eject the center when the quill is retracted but it doesn't. Tried the slide hammer but it just pushes the center off of the bearing leaving a hole thru the center of the center (if that makes any sense).

Anyone have a magic potion for removing the center?

Thanks, g

-The 3520 should have the right tool to use . It should not go through the PM live center.
This is what my 3520b looks like.

The brass tip on these will wear allowing it to partially go in to the live center end. (but NOT through). but it can get stuck.

if you have all 3520b parts ,IE slide hammer and live center. it should work ..

I never use my hand wheel on the head stock to remove any thing.
you should always use the slide hammer.

New subject
for those with the problem of the brass tip going inside the live center, I have an easy fix
I did this when I first got my lathe and for got about it.

A 1/4 " bolt any length , with one wrap of tape
just to hold it from falling out, but east to pull out with your fingers.

never a problem again
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
For some reason, not all live centers are the same length, same with all tail stock holes. Ones the proper size will pop out. When I have the short ones in, I use one of the flat wrenches that are for my router as they slip over the part that sticks out, and I will use a piece of plywood as a lever point to pry it out. I like the idea of the small bolt in the end to prevent this from happening again. If the bearing part keeps popping off, you might need to use some vice grips on some thick canvas or leather, and try prying on the pliers. The shaft on my live centers are generally smooth.

robo hippy
Woodshop said:

New subject
for those with the problem of the brass tip going inside the live center, I have an easy fix
I did this when I first got my lathe and for got about it.

A 1/4 " bolt any length , with one wrap of tape
just to hold it from falling out, but east to pull out with your fingers.

never a problem again

Success!! Thanks Woodshop and everyone ! After looking at woodshops pics I realized that the center is an aftermarket--much shorter than the stock PM. I removed the quill and live center from the tailstock then dropped a 1/4" bolt down the hole & ran the quill back into the tailstock. Used the slide hammer to pop it out.

Side by side the MT2 taper is a lot shorter than the PM as well, that's why it won't eject when retracting the tailstock. The PM center pops out just fine.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll post a couple pics later
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I thought that was it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
cool
That bolt stays in mine all the time. The only time it would need to come out is when changing the center point inside that live center.

Arlin
You should put one in your's. sound like yours is slipping off into the hole too.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop