How to make small shed "portable"?
I recently moved to a new home which has river front. I would like to have a convenient storage shed nearby to house chairs, and other supplies. One problem is that the river will flood our little access spot occasionally, so i need tobe able to move it to higher ground, say 300 feet away across mostly lawn. I can tow it with my truck if needed.

How about some ideas or examples?

Thanks,
Roger
Garden shed with an axle and tow bar? Like a frame you could bolt together from some heavy treated timber, put a utility trailer axle under it, and make a sort of Gypsy trailer? Not road legal, but safe to tow around off road.
I have seen sheds on 6x6's that have tapered ends - sort of like a sled. Just have a hook up for a chain and drag it. Could be a issue it the ground is really soft.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Wonder how large is the shed? Being that it is prone to flooding at times seems like it would be easier to place it out of harms way (300ft.) and leave it there. A lot easier to carry a few outdoor chairs than move the shed now and then? Maybe jack it up and place a few 4x4's or several round fence posts and wrap a nylon tow sling around it replacing the posts to front as you move forward?
Bill
I like the one axle wheeled suggestion, issue would be height size of tires. If you were judicious about materials used (i.e., don't overbuild) and didn't make it that heavy, perhaps some smaller tires could be used on a lighter weight axle, or even fixed tires (if aligned properly) would work. It's not like you will be moving it weekly, but maybe 2-3 times a year.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Build it on pontoons and chain it to a nearby tree with enough slack to allow for the rise/fall of the water.

I suspect that the shed is heavy enough that you don't want to push/pull it by yourself even on wheels. The tapered runner idea I think is best ... hook it up to your truck, tow it out of harms way.
~Dan.
when planning on Mother nature, best laid plans are easily foiled.
We have yet to see the highest floods.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
This company manufactures portable sheds. I would write to them and ask the same question:

http://www.portablesheds.com/categories/garden.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have no suggestion; just information to give you an idea on what you are up against weight wise.

I had a shed moved from my old house to the new house. In the new house, it had to be craned over it and dropped in the back yard. So the crane operator was able to tell me how heavy the shed was. This is a 8x10' shed, standard 2x4 construction, 16" OC, 1/2" plywood walls and roof sheathing, cedar siding, asphalt shingles. It was removed from a concrete pad so there was no floor. Also the doors were removed. The whole thing weighed 3,800 lbs (lucky for me, another 300 lbs and he would not have been able to reach that far with the crane) Now add a floor, some contents, you are probably over 5,000 lbs.

Of course there are lighter ways to construct a shed. I built this one pretty solid
This got my imagination wandering, and they make some pretty good looking plastic sheds nowadays, would cut down on weight, this one is 350 pounds empty; mount it on some 4x4s with chamfered edges, like a log carrying sled for use in the snow, with a chain to hook up to your truck, might work for you.

Rubbermaid Shed
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis